Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

I picked my '04 GoldWing up from the paint shop the other day after getting a couple of places touched up and found a (app 1/2 oz or less) puddle of lube in my front tire rim. :stumped:

I noted that the bike had been sitting on the side stand for the app. 7 days that it was in the paint shop and wondered if thatcould be a possible factor?? I cleaned up the puddle and began to trace back up the fork looking for residue and found that the source of the lube seemed to be coming from the top seal on the right fork. I have to assume that a leaky seal is a failed seal and that it most likely needs replacement. Any thoughts on this subject and what might have caused it? Is it possible to damage a fork seal by having hit a pothole or other such obstruction?

I always appreciate the input! :clapper:

Don

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Fork seals are always unpredictable, yours isn't the first GL1800 that had them fail early. It's just one of those things.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Eamonn,

I know that's right! I just had to wonder if there might be something I could've done to avoid an unnecessary failure (too much pressure, etc.).... or if the dealer could've overfilled them during the service (assuming they were topped off at all).

Thanks for the insight!

Don

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

dat7 wrote:
Hi guys,

I picked my '04 GoldWing up from the paint shop the other day after getting a couple of places touched up and found a (app 1/2 oz or less) puddle of lube in my front tire rim. :stumped:
Don, I haven't seen it done on a 04 bike, but here is something I've seen done. Some time the seal can get a little grit in the lip and it will weep small amounts of fluid. You can take a negitive from a roll of photo film and slid it down past the seal then go all the way around the tube. Not sure if it was with air in fork or not, probably not. Of course this is not a cure for a bad seal....Gary

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Gary,

That's a good tip! Appreciate the headsup, for sure. From what I could tell, it's only leaking a tiny amount and it could very well be from a piece of grit!

Thanks!:waving:

Don

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Body shops are very dusty and it is possible some of that dust stuck to the strut and as soon as the strut moved, it took the material down into the lower seal.. Once it's damaged, that's the ball game.. Replace it..

If it was not leaking before, and it is now, then it's time to replace it.. Don't take a chance on losing fluid and damaging the inside strut rings and bushings..

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Renegade,

Good advice, and I've already called the Honda shop lettin' 'em know I'm comin'!

Thanks! :clapper:

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.