Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:X Just replaced seals on 87 Aspy. Left side OK. Right side still leaks. Upon closer inspection, a small burr was found that was cutting the seal. Cleaned up burr with emory cloth. Passed the fingernail test. Now have just a slight imperfection. New seal installed, now instead of pumping oil out as before, just have a film of oil.

Any sugstions?????? Possibly after market seal with super wiz bang technology. 90 wt oil to thick to leak. All suggestions welcome.
Thx

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

pisspodpete wrote:
:X Just replaced seals on 87 Aspy. Left side OK. Right side still leaks. Upon closer inspection, a small burr was found that was cutting the seal. Cleaned up burr with emory cloth. Passed the fingernail test. Now have just a slight imperfection. New seal installed, now instead of pumping oil out as before, just have a film of oil.
Any sugstions?????? Possibly after market seal with super wiz bang technology. 90 wt oil to thick to leak. All suggestions welcome.
Thx
You might try polishing out the area some more, I wouldn't use emery cloth, wet sand with 600 then 800 grit and polish with something like Never-Dull. You might have a problem with your second seal if the irregularity wasn't smooth enough. It's a good idea to lube the seal well before installing, also have the fork tube wiped down with a bit of fork oil, sliding a seal on a dry surface can cause it to leak.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

You didn't use a Clymer manual to help you change the seals did you?

In the Clymer manual they show the seals being installed incorrectly. The double sided section of the seal must go down and the single side must be in the up position other wise they will leak.

Vic

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
You didn't use a Clymer manual to help you change the seals did you?
In the Clymer manual they show the seals being installed incorrectly. The double sided section of the seal must go down and the single side must be in the up position other wise they will leak.
Vic
Great call Vic, right or wrong I should have thought of the Clymer error, damn CRS!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

Funny, I used the clymer, but didn't even notice the error. I never get my info on re-assembly from manuals, I always LOOK at how it was before, and then put it back the same way. If it was working before, it'll keep working that way! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

Keep polishing that tube!!!! My past experience is that it has to be perfect, no pitts of any kind and don't use anything abrasive. This couldcause your situationto worsen. My understanding is there is a specific thickness of coating on these tubes and once you are past that, you have a problem. Exavid could probably be more explicit on the techno aspect of this.

Kyle

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Funny, I used the clymer, but didn't even notice the error. I never get my info on re-assembly from manuals, I always LOOK at how it was before, and then put it back the same way. If it was working before, it'll keep working that way! :cheeky1:
I try to remember too, but once in awhile, more often nowadays, I can forget. I've had some good use of my digital camera for this. I like to lay the parts out as they came out on the bench, and take a good picture before cleaning or storing the pieces. Usually with seals and the like if you think a bit about which side of the seal the oil should be on it becomes obvious which way it should go.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
Keep polishing that tube!!!! My past experience is that it has to be perfect, no pitts of any kind and don't use anything abrasive. This couldcause your situationto worsen. My understanding is there is a specific thickness of coating on these tubes and once you are past that, you have a problem. Exavid could probably be more explicit on the techno aspect of this.

Kyle
If you have a slight roughness that you have to sand and polish out it doesn't really make any difference if you go through the plating. If it's rough the seal won't hold so the fork tube is useless, if you do the seal probably will work but you will have the possibility of rust. In other words if you can't keep a seal on it what's the difference how could it worsen?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:gunhead: Looks like I shall try a can of elbow grease, and polish the tube. Is there an after market seal that is more forgiving of imperfections?

Thanks guys for the help

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

pisspodpete wrote:
:gunhead: Looks like I shall try a can of elbow grease, and polish the tube. Is there an after market seal that is more forgiving of imperfections?

Thanks guys for the help
None I am aware of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.