Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have only been riding this Goodyear TripleAssurance Car Tire on the valkyre for 3 years and 20k miles. But today, when taking corners in Utah, I learned something.

I will be the first to admit that cornering is a little more tricky with this set up, than on my GL1200 with a bike tire. But today, I found myself going hot into a marked corner, 50 mph, so before the corner slowed down to 50 mph and went through with a breeze. So then, instead of guessing or trying to feel my way through the corners, I would just slow down to the posted speed for the corner, and it would work fine. No extra drama, no extra work. Of course, with a bike tire, one would feel comfortable taking any corner at 10+, but this seems like a fool proof way to take corners with the car tire.

You all probably had this figured out a long time ago. I am a slow learner.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I don't know about car tires but I can usually come pretty close to doubling the speed on the yellow sign on curves. Assuming the road is dry and good condtion.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I don't know about car tires but I can usually come pretty close to doubling the speed on the yellow sign on curves. Assuming the road is dry and good condtion.

Yes I do that, on a car tire. Up to reasonable speed of course, I am not going to do 90 around a 45mph curve. Anything above a 30 I just add 20 to it.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
so before the corner slowed down

ah...I have expensive performance tires on my wing, and I do the above regardless.
wings aren't sport bikes, and until I remove the floorboards and hardbags...theres only so low I can go into a turn to prove..what..I can shave 5 seconds off my otherwise enjoyable day out?
I prefer bike tires cause I write dirty words on the sidewalls, then at the end of the trip see what I can still read.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
So, I have only been riding this Goodyear TripleAssurance Car Tire on the valkyre for 3 years and 20k miles. But today, when taking corners in Utah, I learned something.

I will be the first to admit that cornering is a little more tricky with this set up, than on my GL1200 with a bike tire. But today, I found myself going hot into a marked corner, 50 mph, so before the corner slowed down to 50 mph and went through with a breeze. So then, instead of guessing or trying to feel my way through the corners, I would just slow down to the posted speed for the corner, and it would work fine. No extra drama, no extra work. Of course, with a bike tire, one would feel comfortable taking any corner at 10+, but this seems like a fool proof way to take corners with the car tire.

You all probably had this figured out a long time ago. I am a slow learner.

So you slow down to the speed of a top-heavy delivery truck on corners?

Hey, if it works for you, awesome!

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Totally unrelated, but I have learned to slow down going around blind corners too. The reason is that 3 different times in the past 5 years I have gone around them to fast, only to find a cop on the other side. One warning and two no points speeding tickets. I decided not to push my luck.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
And there we have the main advantage of a high performance motorcycle tire!
Only compared to the tire he was running and his riding skills or style and the rest of his bike!

I'm not good in the twisties with my skills or lack of style, but I'd bet my Austone against a Dunlop if an impartial skilled rider was doing a hard run on each.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Totally unrelated, but I have learned to slow down going around blind corners too. The reason is that 3 different times in the past 5 years I have gone around them to fast, only to find a cop on the other side. One warning and two no points speeding tickets. I decided not to push my luck.
Well, the Yellow sign is not the speed limit, the white sign is the speed limit!
Yellow is only a suggested speed.
So if in a 55 zone and you hit a turn marked yellow sign as 35mph doing 50mph is NOT speeding! 60-70mph would be speeding since the limit for the road is only 55mph LOL

I also slow for blind curves and even binds hills a decent amount. I have found firewood, downed trees, large dead animals, parked cars taking pictures, etc. etc.. in middle of my lane at times!

I mean who is really so stupid to top a blind hill and stop in middle of road and take pictures??? THOSE PEOPLE!! :shock:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I like to hear the peg scrape now and then. I hit left curves harder than right ones for the most part because a lot of the right turns have more limited sight distances. But I do like to use the whole tread on a MC tire.
I'd be VERY SURPRISED if anyone could prefer a car tire when pushing a bike through a curve at maximum enjoyment speed. Now don't all you darksiders start foaming at the mouth, I'm not saying CTs are bad, I'm saying they are inferior when a bike is being riddent close to its limits in the twisties. That's why I'm willing to use the shorter lived, less expensive CTs on my bike. I prefer the handling in the curves and am more than willing to pay for the fun.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never been a twistys kind of guy. I will invariably ride the back of the pack in a group ride, and catch up to them on the straight stretch. Now, a day without seeing triple digits is a ho hum day of riding.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
It's too bad one has to risk a felony speeding ticket just to blow the dust off the bike. A second Goldwing and CB radios do make that safer.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
I can feel the "transition" point between straight up and leaned over, when a rear motorcycle tire starts to wear flat. I don't like that feeling.
I've never ridden on a car tire, but I would expect that feeling of transition to be far worse because the edge is so pronounced, or sharp. Add that feel to the heft of a Valkyrie and I think most of us would slow a bit when the road gets twisted.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I can feel the "transition" point between straight up and leaned over, when a rear motorcycle tire starts to wear flat. I don't like that feeling.....
Same here. Not normally on my bikes, as I tend to do lots of C/S-ing and that helps keep it from happening.

I have read that the car tires are softer so the transition is less noticeable, but that soft feeling is felt all through turns. Something that has never seemed to be a good idea to me, but to each their own.

BTW: People do run motorcycle tires on cars! They call them doughnut spares, and due to the different slip-angles, size, and other major differences, their makers say they should only be used for temp. use and lower speeds. Now, for those that 'buy into' it: The makers of these spares are part of the same conspiracy that make people spend more money than they need to on tires.

Bill

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Speak only from experience not conjecture..

Those who have not - should not speak nor offer conjecture as gospel...:wtf:

Riding a CAR TIRE on the motorcycle is different..but not enough to have to slow down so significantly ...Once the lerning curve has been covered (that being learning how & why the tire feels the way it does) one can then continue to carve corners within the lean angles available on a Goldwing.

Goldwings aren't so sporty as to lean over beyond their design angle and overwhelm the car tire. I have 20K miles of riding experience on my CT and have dragged the pegs on each side several times - even in the rain on Deals Gap last June.

Never felt a slip nor a break of traction.

But it does ride differently - and it's not for everyone.

Guessing what it feels like is just that -- a guess .

I am NOT saying that you need to ride one. But have an open mind about what is being done by thousands of riders on these big heavy touring machines every day without incident. And please do not pitificate from your opinions and guesses what it may be like...

Let those who have done - describe what is ...

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am not riding a Goldwing. I am riding a Valkyrie. I also weigh 300 pounds, I will ride the way I want. BTW, this old fat Valk rider just rode his 4th 500+ mile day in a row. Average speed for 2300 miles is 63.6 mph. Must not have slowed down too much.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I am not riding a Goldwing. I am riding a Valkyrie. I also weigh 300 pounds, I will ride the way I want. BTW, this old fat Valk rider just rode his 4th 500+ mile day in a row. Average speed for 2300 miles is 63.6 mph. Must not have slowed down too much.
Great to hear:claps:. I want to manage 500+ miles per day on our August trip

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
I feel much more confident after putting on the CT, especially on
a wet road... never had the CT slip, can't say the same for MT.
Definitely has not lowered my speeds in twisties, which really
wasn't high to begin with... on a sport bike, you may go over far
enough to affect a CT, but on a Wing, you'll scrape hard parts
way before that. I can throw sparks on any occasion I can build
up my nerve enough. :)

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Well, the Yellow sign is not the speed limit, the white sign is the speed limit!
Yellow is only a suggested speed.
So if in a 55 zone and you hit a turn marked yellow sign as 35mph doing 50mph is NOT speeding! 60-70mph would be speeding since the limit for the road is only 55mph LOL

I also slow for blind curves and even binds hills a decent amount. I have found firewood, downed trees, large dead animals, parked cars taking pictures, etc. etc.. in middle of my lane at times!

I mean who is really so stupid to top a blind hill and stop in middle of road and take pictures??? THOSE PEOPLE!! :shock:
thats not the case the yellow is a caution sign a then becomes the posted speed,not a recomended speed

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.