Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I wear fingerless gloves that offer minor protection [mesh on back], but full 'fingered' gloves just overheat my hands. If I go sliding, I know my hands will likely be the busiest on the pavement. Big safety factor vs heat, as usual.I have full gloves for cold weather & that works, butmost my riding is in the 80-95* range.

Who useswhich [or any]and when?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Fingerless, full leather for summer and full leather fingered for winter.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Light weight, full leather for summer, insulated full leather for winter - heat be damned. I just prefer to wear gloves.

My summer gloves are stinky, falling apart, and have a big hole in the thumb from a rogue field mouse in my garage - but I can't find a decent pair to replace 'em.

Just a regular leather glove, with some padding in the palm - doesn't seem like too much to ask . . . . :?

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I was wearing full leather gloves on a recent off, and I think they saved some of my fingers..... I had only one hole in the elkskin leathers, over the big joint on my left thumb, which took a month to heal over and is just now getting over a lingering numbness. I shudder to think what that thumb would have looked like had I no gloves at all, or only fingerless gloves...... it was a 90' day, by the way.....

I, too, once argued that heat necessitated a compromise in protection.... no longer. I ride completely covered these days, temperature notwithstanding. Bare flesh is absolutely no match against asphalt, no match.... and road rash is no joke, especially with things like the Superbugs they have got harbored in most hospitals these days. Watching a limb rot away in front of your eyes is not my idea of fun. I will take no issue with people that ride unprotected, or nearly so..... their right.... but, you did ask my opinion, hey?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have a pair of lightweight armored gloves that are from Cortech, the DX model, for riding in warm/hot weather. The air flows really well through them and you get full finger protection. Here's a picture from their site.

John

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

John, are these Cortechs really comfortable in 90* temps ?

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I like the Cortech gloves. Are they flexible enough John?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
John, are these Cortechs really comfortable in 90* temps ?
Yes, to me they are nearly as cool as wearing no gloves, and for $20 it's hard to go wrong. Been wearing mine now for 3 years, and almost 35,000 miles, well not all those miles were in these gloves, because I ride in the cold & rain too. :)

John

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
I like the Cortech gloves. Are they flexible enough John?
Yep, you hardly know you're wearing them. They are by far the most comfortable gloves I've worn.

John

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Guess it's time for some new summer gloves, those Cortech's look nice.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

Not sure if you can obtain "Frank Thomas" goods in the US (just browsed their website and I see there are retailers listed throughout the US), but I can really recommend the following:

Frank Thomas Sprint Sport Glove - See: http://www.frank-thomas.co.uk/index.php?pge_id=11&product_id=42

You can see they have clever raised plastic vents in the knuckles that really work and appear to offer some extra strength in the event of an accident too. The palms/inside fingers are mainly a very soft and light Kangaroo leather I believe - very good for retaining that "feel" for the Wing's controls and helps to make for a lightweight item.

For me, this is the minimum hand protection when riding and I actually end up using them for most of the year.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

The biggest problem I have is finding things that fit me well.

Being on the short side makes it hard. Even levi's have to be modified to make the length right or else I've 5 inches rolled up.

I get the same thing with gloves too. I've a pair of light leather that I use during our really cool mornings, but the actual fingers are long.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I wear full gloves year around. Slightly padded with extra leather in needed areas. I plant on getting the cordura gloves next Spring tgo go with the cordura mesh jacket I got this year. Also, next year a pair of cordura pants to replace the chaps I now wear. You just cannot wear too much protection.

I was riding Saturday doing about 40 MPH on a country road. As I rode under an overhanging limb something hit my helmet with a hard bang; just like a rock. It was a walnut. If I had not been wearing a helmet I would have been knocked unconscious for sure; then an awful wreck would have followed. Don't even want to think about it.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I also, wear full gloves all year. Heavier in the winter lighter in the summer but leather. Have sense 1964. Taken some spills over the years, some broken bones, but never a bad road rash from not wearing proper clothing. Just my opinion and experience.:)

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

I have been riding with fingerless gloves during the summer months till last Sunday coming back from a ride down to the Texas Hill Country I left them on the breakfast table when we stopped to ear.

I don't like to ride without gloves so I put on my deer skinned full fingered and padded gloves that I usually use in the fall and spring. For the next 250 miles or so the temp was around 85 and I was quite comfortable riding in these gloves. I don't think I'm going to replace the fingerless ones.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

I have a problem with most gloves because they have too much material in between the fingers and it hurts my hands.

So, I have been wearing deerskin gloves full time. Summer or winter. If it gets overly cold, I will pull on a pair of snowmobile mitts, but that don't happen in Phoenix very often :cooldevil:

I had my off excursion last January and was wearing full ballistic pants and jacket, helmet and the deerskin gloves. The gloves showed some abrasion tears but my hands were okay.

Something jerked my helmet off of my head. Not good. Ended up with multiple concussions because of that.

The ballistic gear prevented me from having any damage to my skin below the neck. Had one isolated instance of burned skin on the left elbow; jacket showed a slide involved, but there but no holes in it.

I always wear full gear, hot or cold. Temps here can reach 120+ F but I still suit up all the way. Just walk in the shower, get the tee shirt wet and go.

The option of no gear never enters my head. Damn glad I was wearing my gear when I had my off experience at 65 mph last January.

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I have a pair of gloves I got at the....dare I say it....Harley dealer. They have a nice thin gel in the plams and are made of a nice thin soft leather, full coverage. I have no complaints riding with them at 90 degrees. Only place I found gloves that Felt good on my hands.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

I wear a black nomex flight glove, I guess if the bike catches on fire at least my hands will be ok, don't know how they would do in a spill:baffled:

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Usually I wear full leather gloves with armor all year round. I am trying to find a light set of warm leather gloves for the really cool mornings and evenings here but am seriously considering the heated grips. The Coretech gloves look really cool and I like the fact that they are armored, might just have to try a pair.
Can't beat full leather for protection.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.