Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got a new (to me) :) '83 1100. As with old weathered bikes. The blackplasticon the fairing just doesn't look good no matter what I do. I do leather work, and I was thinking about doing up the inside of the fairing with tooling. Kinda' like a saddle. My question is this: Has anyone seen this done, and if so, does it look good. In my mind it looks good. But I have been know to come up with some dumb ideas in my time :doh:. Any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

I think it may look really great, very custom of course. What about the sun and rain effects?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Would be very individual and something that no one else would have and hey who know you might end up with pepple seeing it and placing orders!!!:)

Go for it I say, if you like it that is all that matters, :clapper:

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

I have an old Arthur Fulmer Fairing on my dressed 78. The inside of the fairing and the dash under the windshield are a textured finish like a leather grain. It is painted to match the fairing but looks good and reduces the glare from the dash onto the windshield.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

I like that idea. I'll bet it will look pretty spiffy....I just wish that I could do motorcycle work, let alone leather work.....

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

The sun and rain could be a problem. I would have to treat it with Neatsfoot oil probably once a month or so. My thinking was treat it like I would a saddle and it will be fine. I don't want to go crazy with it. Just some subtle tool effects. Mostly just plain oil tanned leather.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Just make sure it is a low sheen. You do not want anything that will reflect a lot.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

take some before and after pics would like to see the results and the only thing thats counts is if you like it

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Try doing a small area first and see how it turns out.

We used to own a sring of rental horses, leather can be a very high maintenence item. Specially if left out in the weather all the time. Soaping and oiling was pretty messy - but then we were working with saddles.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Leather work on a motorcycle is and can be very unique and does serve well. Everything from custom made seat covers tooled and dyed in color if you so wish to simple things like tooled and laced covers on handle bar grips. I have seen the saddle bags covered in leather, and yes also the fairings covered also.

Getting wet does not hurt it as long as you take the time to saddle soap it when it dries. Tooled leather with age gradually turns darker and gets a deep burnished sheen to it.

What will tear it up and turn it so dark you cannot really tell what it is if left out in the sun uncovered constantly. The sun will destroy a nice job fairly quickly.

Under normal conditions a leather seat cover or something is not any more work or upkeep than a regular seat. You just use saddle soap to maintain it, instead of the other products we use on the regular ones.

A laced leather grip is actually a good solution for the 1800 pencil grips, and some of the other bikes with heated grips. As the Kuryakyn grips are kinda big , unless you have big hands, so tooled leather adds about 5/16 in diameter to the grips, and as far as I know there is nothing on the market that fits in that niche.

Kit

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
imported post

I've tooled a little leather and think it will look and wear well. Go for it!

And don't forget the pics.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I will take some pics this weekend of the before. This will be a work in progress due to christmas coming up. Gotta' make goodies for everyone else. I will work on MY project mostly on the weekends. Thanks everyone for the thoughts and the encouragement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.