Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife and I are about to buy some clothing for riding our Goldwing that we will be buying shortly. We have looked in a few shops. What are the virtures of leathers compared to other materials. How hot are they in the summer for Europe?
Any comments are welcome. Thanks

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

Leathers look really nice and are great in cool or colder weather but it has been my experience that leather jackets and other leather clothing can get pretty uncomfortable in warmer and hot weather.

The plus side of wearing leathers is that you are somewhat safer in the case of an accident. The leather is a definiteadvantage saving your skin from road rash and possibly other injuries in a crash.

I have known people that wish they had leathers on when they had an accident that only resulted in bump and bruises and road rash.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
imported post

foxtrot5, welcome to the forum and good luck with the new Goldwing. The question has to be asked, which Goldwing are you going to buy? Good luck with your new adventure.

Kurt:waving:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Right now I am communicating with a guy in Southern Germany who is asking for 6900 Euros for a 1992 1500 with 24000 km. Does this sound fair?

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

6900 Euros is equal to approximately $8,686.40 US Dollars.

That price for the same 1992 GL1500 here in the United Staes would be considered a bit high.

I will give you an example:

I bought a 1994 GL1500 SE with 63,000 mile on it from the orignal owner. The Goldwing was in perfect working and cosmetic condition for $6500.00 US Dollars.

This is not a fair comparision because the market value of a particular product in Europe isn't going to be the same as in the United States.

Here in North America, a new Goldwing is much more expensive in Canada than here in the US.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

foxtrot5 wrote:
Right now I am communicating with a guy in Southern Germany who is asking for 6900 Euros for a 1992 1500 with 24000 km. Does this sound fair?
If it is in good condition, particularly body panels wise, yes with that millage I would have thought that was cheap enough. Check history is good if not absolutely complete.

From my experience leather is not now considered the best to have in European climates. Gortex textile will keep that rain out better. For the summer, there are now mesh suits, jackets and pants, that let the air through, whilst being armoured.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

The main thing to remember when buying your clothing is not to get any type of material that will melt. When sliding down the pavement, you do not want your clothing heating up and melting to your skin. Nylon is a definite NO-NO. Gortex, Leather, Kevlar or even Denim is a good protector.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
foxtrot5 wrote:
If it is in good condition, particularly body panels wise, yes with that millage I would have thought that was cheap enough. Check history is good if not absolutely complete.

From my experience leather is not now considered the best to have in European climates. Gortex textile will keep that rain out better. For the summer, there are now mesh suits, jackets and pants, that let the air through, whilst being armoured.
I totally agree with Silverfox. I recently paid £3750 for a 1989 GL1500 which I then added £1000 worth of goodies to. Your price seems good if it is in good condition.

Having stopped riding crotch rockets on which I always wore leathersno matter how uncomfortable they were in summer, I now wear gortex clothing on my wing. I don't think it will give the same protection as leather but I feel that my riding style on a wing is such that I hope to not ever have the need for the protection anyhow.(If that makes sense).

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I changed from leather to textile because I find it more comfortable in cold or hot weather. I have a Tourmaster 3/4 length jacket with liner that's great in cooler and or wet weather. I wear a mesh jacket through most of the warmer parts of the year and love it. Even in very hot weather it's more comfortable than a short sleeve shirt. With it's liner in it's good down to 45F or so. Textiles dry faster than leather when wet too.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
imported post

foxtrot5 wrote:
My wife and I are about to buy some clothing for riding our Goldwing that we will be buying shortly. We have looked in a few shops. What are the virtures of leathers compared to other materials. How hot are they in the summer for Europe?
Any comments are welcome. Thanks
The virtues of leathers are that they protect you the best. Many times you can actually continue to use your leathers after unscheduled dismount. Textiles are toast after most any crash. (My experience is from observing textiles after crashes from other users.) Also the use of textiles in high-speed crashes can result in catastrophic failure of your protection before you come to a complete stop. I use what I call heavy leathers for the track or cool to cold days; perforated leathers work good on cool to warm days, Textile/Kevlar outfits for warm to hot days. I have to disagree that denim works, it has failed me in the past. It is also important to wear good boots that protect your ankle, and good gloves for your hands. They make light glove with carbon fiber protection for hot days and boots with vents in them.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

famous1 wrote:
unscheduled dismount.
:shock::shock::goofygrin:nicely described Famous 1.

I think you are right that for maximum protection, leather is hard to beat, since it is still the choice of racing riders, who seem to fall off spectacularly with little damage.

I think for most, it is a question of balancing comfort with safety. In extreem heat, the discomfort of heavy clothing can of course be positively dangerous, with the danger of heat exhaustion.

In the sort of weather conditions of places such as Poland, it might necessitate the purchace of more than one type of clothing. I have at least three sets, for differnt seasons. sadly, I am into the winter ones already, but luckily without liners still, because the temperatures are still mild, just lots of rain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.