Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I thought I would get cute and added a handful of LED's for my turn signals. I noted that the 1157 I used was NOT the same as the one that I pulled out. I later found out about the 8 watt and the higher turn signal issue. So I ran with no running lights, only the turn signals. I need to add that I left the rears alone since I had no 1156 (I think) or whatever bulb is there to replace with, (yet). Today while crusing, my flasher just stopped working. No reason, just stopped. I had just added the LED's yesterday so they only had about 2 hours on them. In any event, I came home and pulled ALL of the LED's thinking that maybe I was causing some dead short (with led's???) to the system and replaced the standard bulbs back in. No signals still. I do have the running lights on the front back. Any old way, I tested the bulbs for continuity, (they worked when I pulled em) and found no problems, either front or back. I tested ALL the fuses, including the ones in the front fairing. They were all fine too. Checked power to the bulbs, nothing there. I looked around for the flasher/buzzer unit, (that is in a real pain in thenose area to get to) and thought maybe that was my problem. So....my question is, am I on the right track. Thanks for all the anticipated answers. I look forward to making new friends here.

Just in caseI am making enemies before friends, I am new to the forum and to the whole question thingy. Bare with me....sooner or later I will have ideas to help you too!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

All I can tell you is that with the led's you will need a ballest in each line . Ifought this problem a few years ago on another bike it took an awful lot of trial & error . Most shops that deal in LED's will know what I am talking about Led's do not draw very much power & your flaser has a problem detecting them Henceforth the ballast comes in to drawing more power so the flasher doesn't know the difference. Hope this makes sence to you. One of resident guru's is Rudy I'm sure he'll be able to help.
Welcome aboard.we are not very far apart here

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

all you need to dois replace mechanical flasher and insall electronic flasher. they don't need a draw on them to flash because they are electronic.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Worlds Greatest Goldwing Forum from North Central Texas!
If you just replaced the 1157 front turn signal bulbs with LEDs and not the 1156 rear turn signal bulbs, I think that your turn signal flasherwould have beenblinking a lot faster than normal. At the age of these flashers (yours more than likely original),it may have just quit working.
The flasher is located under the false tank on the left, round can type,and in a rubber sleeve.
GL 1100 Turn Flasher, Tridon Stant EP 28 will work with LEDs and is available in most Auto Parts Stores. Your OEM flasher plug won't fit but jumpers can be made with terminal lugs. You can also order a flasher from: http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html
If you wanted to stick with the OEM flasher then you will need the resistor on each bulb socket that Triker Mike talked about. For me LEDs lighten the current load on my GL 1100 charging system and adding resistors (not as much as the incandescent bulbs)does add to thethe current load. Resistor kits can be ordered from the site above.
Another suggestion, make sure youuse LED bulbs that are at least as bright as the OEM bulbs. Our local stores 1157 and 1156 LED bulbs only have 12 leds in each, not bright enough.:(
I'm thinking that you will really have to work at it to make enemies here. Just keep asking question, someone will have a solution for you.:cooldevil:
My son and I will ride into Washington State in about two weeks to visit my granddaughter and two great grands.:clapper:

·
Administrator
26,993 Posts
imported post

I agree with Wichita and siebo, get the electronic flasher. There is no advantage to using LEDs if you have to use resistors to make them work.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

There is a different LED Electronic Flasher and also a regular electronic flasher for OEM bulbs. Make sure you get one that is for LED or you will get a hyper flash with using LEDS

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I have decided to stay with the original incandescant since they give the most light and the bike was made for them. All the "pretty" lights and road show stuff are on a seperate toggle, (came that way) so I am going to replace all of THOSE with LEDs and see what happens. For now I have to research how to get the stupid tank off. I stripped her down all the way to the carbs and am still fighting that faux tank. Thanks for all the answers. Just saying, "replace the flasher" is a heck of a lot eaiser then doing it!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

invest in a repair manual, honda or clymer. It'll tell you a lot of info on working on it yourself, how to take apart ect. I have a used clymer you can have for $10 & $5 shipping PM if you want it.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

newday777 wrote:
invest in a repair manual, honda or clymer. It'll tell you a lot of info on working on it yourself, how to take apart ect. I have a used clymer you can have for $10 & $5 shipping PM if you want it.
Actually I already have the Chiltons for my model and it is very vague. I did find a place that has them on line for free. Thanks for the advice though and the offer for the book.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

After tearing my bike to smithereens I started to do other disassembly to make my life easier. I had not found the flasher unit where it was supposed to be. I did finally find it but before I say too much more, I have a small piece of advice: If you arethe second or more owner, I do suggest that you look at things the previous owner did to make their life easy and take advantage of it. The last guy replaced the flasher with a stock two wire and it was hanging under the left lower. Three screws was all I needed to pull! Fixed the problem with an 8 dollar stock flasher unit.I could have saved myself HOURS of work if I had just stopped to think for a few minutes on what I would have done had it been me 18 years ago!

Thank you to each and everyone of you that shared your thoughts and ideas with me. I will be around and yelling for help when the time comes. At this point, I am thinking of repainting everything since I scratched and beat the heck out of the rattlecan paint job the last guy did. Maybe a new project for next year. I like the white color so I might go with a pearlized white next time!

Anyway...outta here for now. Maybe we will see you on the road!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.