Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have purchase the two blade flasher on the left and installed on my GL 1200. I have replaced all my bulbs with LED Lights. The bike looks great. I only have one problem. The turn signal will not stop flashing. Not even if you use the turn signal cancelling switch ( it work it the original switch). I took the bike for a spin and the turn signal would not cancel when completing the turn. Do I need a grounding wire? The wire harness has three wires going into the wiring harness. Any help would be grateful. I am two steps from completing my bike. :X The instrument panel is also showing "Tail Out" ALL BULBS ARE WORKING?

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

not sure about the flashers, but the leds are the problem causing the warning light to come on on the instrument panel.

The leds draw a very small amount of current, which the system cant pick up, hence the warning light.

two ways you can fix is install a resistor this kinda negates the idea of using less power to run lights, (do a search and you should find how its done) or just remove the bulb from the warning light.

The leds my also be why the turn signal cancel wont work, it cant pick up the amount of current drawn by the leds, but someone else will help you with that,

good luck,

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Robbie is right, you need a resistor. There are ones made for this very purpose and I remember reading some threads on it here in the past. Do a search and you should find it.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Blkhawk611,

Do your best to remove the bulb rom the "Tail Out" warning light.

Putting a restister in line with the LEDs to trick the system into thinking that there are no bulbs out defeats one of the purposes of using LED's - low power draw. Now that there is way less load on your stator, why would you want to crank the load back up and load down your stator?? I bet your stator is having a mini vacation right about now and lets face it... 1200 stators need all the vacation time they can get!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Putting a restister in line with the LEDs to trick the system into thinking that there are no bulbs out defeats one of the purposes of using LED's - low power draw. Now that there is way less load on your stator, why would you want to crank the load back up and load down your stator?? I bet your stator is having a mini vacation right about now and lets face it... 1200 stators need all the vacation time they can get!!
Popular misconception.

The stators on GL1000, GL1100 and GL1200s run at 100% load all the time. They ALWAYS put out their maximum current capability.

The voltage regulator "lets through" as much as is required to run the bike and charge the battery, and any extra power that the stator is producing that isn't required, is shunted straight to ground - which basically creates heat. This is why the voltage regulator runs so hot.

In reducing the amount of load on your bike by replacing light bulbs with LED's, you've actually INCREASED the work that the voltage regulator has to do.

So why would you want to install the LEDs and reduce system load? Because it now frees up power for other devices and lights. You want to run halogen driving lights, but don't have enough capacity to handle them? Replace the other lights with LEDs - and now you do.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I am running the poorboy alternator conversion kit. The lights look great I just want everything to work correctly. There has to been a way without adding more to the wire harness. Some one posted a vehicle led flasher that was hard wired into the harness and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

My GL 1200 LTD uses a 3 terminal flasher and I too have replaced most of my regular bulbs withLED's. I left 2 tail lights as regular lamps so I didn't have the issue with the warning lamp on the instrument cluster.

Back to the flasher, there is a posting on the Yahoo Gold Wing group pages about replacing the flashers with either heavy duty flashers which won't leave you stranded without a flasher on the road or with an expensive fix. I found an electronic flasher at O'Riley's Auto Parts for around ten bucks.

I would suggest checking that posting if anyone is serious about converting to LED's.

:action:

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
imported post

I am not familiar with the canceling signal on the 1200, but on the 1100 I did as Croderick done, left two regular bulbs in and it worked fine for me also... This after experimenting with 2 electronic flashers, I believe the one many suggest to use is the Stant EP28,...... I should have gotten that one but forgot the number once I got there. Anyway, all LEDS except two regular on turn signals and now I can run running lights without excessive draw:pumpkin::bat::waving:, Bob

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

I have the EP-28 flasher and I have separated the wires from the connector. Which one is which? Which is + and which one is - and which one is the load? Grey wire?, Green/white?, Black/blue? I do not like cutting the wiring harness.

·
Administrator
28,075 Posts
imported post

Connect the gray and the black/blue to the flasher, leave the green off. It does not matter which wire to which terminal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.