Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of LED fog Lights that mount in the lower fairing where the turn fog lights go about 6 months ago. I think from Wingstuff. Anyway they didn't have the LED kit so they worked out a deal where i bought the halogen kit and the LED bulbs that fit the lenses
. Here's the problem The kit came with the proper snap in loop wiring to keep the lights on full time when driving. What I can't figure out is why the bulbs randomly turn off for a second or two after I drive for about 10 minutes. Sometimes they are both out, but usually it is one or the other. They cycle about every 15 to 20 seconds.
Are the bulbs overheating? Are there solenoids hooked to the wiring harness that kick out with heat? I don't want to rewire the bike to a switch and ignition lead. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Top right of frame, three dots, sight navigation, choose edit, clear it & save.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
I bought a set of LED fog Lights that mount in the lower fairing where the turn fog lights go about 6 months ago. I think from Wingstuff. Anyway they didn't have the LED kit so they worked out a deal where i bought the halogen kit and the LED bulbs that fit the lenses
. Here's the problem The kit came with the proper snap in loop wiring to keep the lights on full time when driving. What I can't figure out is why the bulbs randomly turn off for a second or two after I drive for about 10 minutes. Sometimes they are both out, but usually it is one or the other. They cycle about every 15 to 20 seconds.
Are the bulbs overheating? Are there solenoids hooked to the wiring harness that kick out with heat? I don't want to rewire the bike to a switch and ignition lead. Any Ideas?
Have you tried switching to th ehalogen bulbs and see if the same thing happens?
Knowing what bike you have might help.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Top right of frame, three dots, sight navigation, choose edit, clear it & save.
A regular member can not delete a thread, a single post he can edit but not delete.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
So, just for my edification, say I stared a thread, then delete all my content or question, the thread title stays? Just curious?

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
So, just for my edification, say I stared a thread, then delete all my content or question, the thread title stays? Just curious?
Seems to be the case. You have 72 hours (I think) to edit a post but you cannot delete it entirely. Has to be done by a moderator. We had a member get upset over the fact recently but sorry, that's the way it is and has always been.

Reactions: CrystalPistol

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Aardvark Ratnick, can you give us a description of where the lights connect & are they replacements for the original cornering lights if your bike had them or added on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried switching to th ehalogen bulbs and see if the same thing happens?
Its in the Title GL1500. Thanks I was thinking about that because I do have the bulbs. I will switch them for a trial but i lake the low amp draw of LED.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That will be the next step if no ones knows why they blink. I am thinking it may be an overloaded solenoid. I wrote to where I bought it and they stated the bulbs wouldn't overheat.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Its in the Title GL1500. Thanks I was thinking about that because I do have the bulbs. I will switch them for a trial but i lake the low amp draw of LED.
Thanks for the reply. It was a kit that went replaced the cornering lights. with the kit they sent the snap in wiring items that went to factory plugs
I can see it is a GL1500 but what year and model?
I looked on Wingstuff web site but didn't see any such thing. A link might help, could be clues in the description.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can see it is a GL1500 but what year and model?
I looked on Wingstuff web site but didn't see any such thing. A link might help, could be clues in the description.
Got it. 1989 I dont know anymore. It has all the bells and whistles. but I am not sure they had sub models that year.

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Got it. 1989 I dont know anymore. It has all the bells and whistles. but I am not sure they had sub models that year.
OK, 89 didn't have any sub models. It was after 90 there were interstate, aspencade and SE models.
Looks like they plug into the cornering light connectors and jumpers replace the relays. Probably bad connections somewhere on the ground side if you aren't having any other issues.
DO NOT try the halogen bulbs in those lights, too much load on the circuit.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
To follow up on what Dave said the easiest way to find a bad ground is to back probe the wiring on the plugs with a voltmeter. . You should read 12 volts or so on one wire plug and near zero on the other wire plug at all times. It is especially important to catch it when it is acting up. Do the test on the left and right lights. Again, you need power on one plug and near zero volts on the other plug. If you see power at both plugs you have a bad ground. Even if it is 2 or 3 volts that is not a good ground. A tenth .(.point 10) is OK but not anything over a volt..
If you get 12 volts on one plug and 0 volts on the other but the light is still acting up wiggle the bulb around in the socket. It might be a poor connection in the socket between the bulb and socket but a bad ground seems more likely. :)

·
Lucy 1994
9 Posts
Cyclemax carries the 'plug and play' LED cornering light bulb, which I put in my '94. They won't burn out, but they did pop my No. 3 relay once.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,582 Posts
Cyclemax carries the 'plug and play' LED cornering light bulb, which I put in my '94. They won't burn out, but they did pop my No. 3 relay once.
Not likely the LEDs popped the #3 relay, that relay is known to go bad. LEDs use considerably less current than even the original cornering light bulbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts