Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have personal experience with LED headlight bulbs in the GL1800 first gen. ?
I am thinking in particular of Low beam.
Do they glow better than regular H7s? , do they light up the roadway better at night? , do they give a correct bright "picture"?
Since I had HID mounted I had to adjust the light very low, to avoid "trouble" from oncoming, (and then they were not very useful in range), - is this problem solved with LED?
My HID also caused a lot of interference in the CB radio, - are there any problems with the LED?
If anyone has good experience with a special brand in LED, I would love to hear, and preferably with a link. It does not have to be the cheapest, but maybe not the most expensive either?
Do the LED bulbs mounts on the normal adapter or how do they fit in the oem headligth ?

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
I have LEDs but I have never been out at night with them. I just do not go out at night anymore. They are very bright and cast a good pattern on a wall. I bought an automotive set, much cheaper than the motorcycle specific kit but I had to make my own spacers for them to fit the headlight properly and I used the OE adapter to connect to the harness, The motorcycle kits come with the spacers and plug directly to the harness,

·
Registered
155 Posts
Love them but I have LED's installed in both low and high beam positions. Be sure to get those designed and sold specifically for the GL1800; there are lots of LED Bulbs on the market that will not reflect properly and thus become useless at night unless you're watching for owls in the trees! Mine shine much whiter than the H-7 bulbs and have lasted about 3 years now, and I ride pretty much year round. They've paid for themselves by now not have to replace bulbs every 11 months, so the initial outlay is the hardest part. I found they seat and reflect at different levels up and down, so badly my high beams were below my low beams - thus installed them in all four positions (high beams were a PITA on my 02 but seem to be a one time battle). I find mine reach out a bit further than H-7s but reflect off objects differently and take a bit of getting used to but I would not go back to halogens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts