Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys newbie here excuse me for posting here if I'm in the wrong spot... I have an 83 interstate that I am adding 2 round led lights to in my trunk ... The problem I'm having is that the turn an stop are on the same circuit , when the brake is applied the turn signal stops flashing also when the turn is flashing it's flashing on both sides an my factory stop an tail light .. I know its back feeding in the system Is this happening because I'm using the factory flasher or do I need to put a diode inline to stop this or what's my options as far as a solution here ... Thanks any help is greatly appreciated ... Thanks Tony

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tony
The goldwings come with separate turn and brake circuits. In other words you would have brake lights on separate bulbs/LED lights unless you have a converter like used to a 2 light trailer circuit wiring. Do you have a converter?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No converter but that was a thought I had forgotten to mention in my post .. Any trailer light converter should work right ?

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello Tony and Welcome . I am not sure if you can seperate the circuits . The bike is built to have the turn signals as stand alone lamps . You could set up the new lamps as running ( tail ) lamps and turn signals , but not as additional brake lamps . Or you could set the new LEDs to act as brake lamps on the low side and turns on the bright side .
I am not sure why you are getting feedback to the other side . Um ,wait its going to the other side via the brake circuit . I am not sure where to put the diode to block this . thinking it would need one on each side to prevent backflow .
I dont have the part number I used , but I did install an electonic flasher on my 83I to get the flashing to work . If I recall it was a two wire unit and so one wire isnt used . I can look at my bike tomoorow and let you know more on that .
Again Welcome to the community . I hope you enjoy the place and visit often .

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was thinking all a trailer converter box consisted of was a couple of diodes anyways so I may try that approach 1st .. All that's gonna do is stop the back feed but I don't think it will stop the turn signal from stopping when the brake is applied come to think of that's what a converter box does I'm sure that'll fix all my problems ... After I install the trailer converter ill post an let you guys know if that's the fix ... Thanks again

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Just be sure and post it here on this post as a reply to keep it in one post thread(don't start a new topic)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10-4 will do ... Can anyone tell me how to post a pic here .... Would like to see some opinions on the lights ... I am working from an iPhone an it keeps asking for a URL location of my pics they are in my camera roll not online

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Welcome to the club!!!!

:thumbsup:Looks like you got the pic process figured out.
If we only had our parts now!!!! Im ready to get these wings out on the highway. We like pics on here so dont hold back on the before and after shots!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I figured it out ... With the help of a trailer converter and an electronic flasher now I'm working on taking the original fender mount tail light an making it led will post pics soon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.