Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gee anybody can help :lash:

I am now planing in replacing turn signal light by LED and lately on this forum I seen a post that included ways to make them blink to proper speed by adding resistance in the line it even had pictures grrrrr

Thanks

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As stock flasher relays operate on current draw some have added resisters in parallel to the LED bulbs to draw more current.

I'm not seeing the advantage of LED's plus resistors to equal the draw of an incandescent bulb.:?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I'm not seeing the advantage of LED's plus resistors to equal the draw of an incandescent bulb.:?
Most of the bulbs are dual element. The resistor is only in the circuit for the flasher element, so it draws heavier amperage only when being used. (In my case, NEVER!):ROFL:
Unless you've wired the turn signal to a dual socket to use as a poser, there would be no real advantage to using an LED for a turn signal bulb with a resistor.
I have changed to double sockets, so my saddlebag amber lamps are posers as well. A resistor would work well in my case.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I have changed to double sockets, so my saddlebag amber lamps are posers as well. A resistor would work well in my case.
You must be operating under different laws, here always on amber lights are only allowed on the front not the back.:?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
My 2000 Aspy has amber turn lights in both Front & Rear. My Aspen camper trailer has rear amber turn lights.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I use fixed rate flasher units so that you have the advantages of low current draw by using LEDs. If you use the resistors you may as well keep using incandescent bulbs.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
You must be operating under different laws, here always on amber lights are only allowed on the front not the back.:?

My 2003 Tribute and my 97 SE both have amber turn indicators on the rear.

I lived in BC for eight years and we always had it that way.

Has something changed ?

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Hey…

You guys need to reread Kens post…

You must be operating under different laws, here always on amber lights are only allowed on the front not the back.

Once you have reread it run out and start your bikes and look and the front amber signals and then the rear amber ones... tell us what you see.

You are not permitted to have your rear “ambers” lit like the front on the back of any vehicle. They are for “blinking” only. That why we have 1157 and 1156 bulbs.

I think that glhonda has personal issues with Ken hence the very rude comment for no apparent reason. To anyone new here to the forums… this is not how we usually play together.

;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Ah ......... always on. I better take a remedial reading course.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
Gee anybody can help :lash:

I am now planing in replacing turn signal light by LED and lately on this forum I seen a post that included ways to make them blink to proper speed by adding resistance in the line it even had pictures grrrrr

Thanks

I have tried several, four, LED 1157 and 1156 bulbs and found them to be lacking in light output when compared to incandescent bulbs.

I was looking for brighter running lights to increase visibility at the rear which I realized was a problem when I followed my own 97' SE with my buddy riding it in front of me.

Having said that I put them to good use by adding two extra sockets to the rear saddle bag lights and adding those LED's. So now in each rear light I have two LED 1157 and one incandescent 1157 bulb for a total of three.

I have brighter running lights because of the LED's and the brake lights are brighter also.

If you really want LED's for turn signals, and can find ones bright enough. Use 1157 LED in the front running/turn lens and use a 100 watt 1156 bulb in the rear amber turn signal lens. These are sold a back-up light bulbs and easily found. That will give you the resistance you need to allow your turn flasher to work and give you brighter turn signal light to the rear. Or just leave the stock 1156 incandescent bulb in place in the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Personally I prefer amber lights in the rear of any vehicle as turn indicators. I think it stands out more so than the “red” going to a “blinking red”.

I specifically purchased a set of LED brake/marker/turn signal lights from Super Bright LEDs for my trailer that I am rebuilding in the next week or so. They were hard to come by… most are just red.

IMHO I think the change of color registers more with the brain. My Wings trunk lights are red/amber as everyone else’s but my saddle bags are just red for the driving and brake. I may swap them out in the fall with the red/amber ones that you can get 3rd party.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I have tried several, four, LED 1157 and 1156 bulbs and found them to be lacking in light output when compared to incandescent bulbs.
I agree. I recently went wild with LED’s throughout my trunk and saddlebags and I wanted to swap out the two bottom 1157 bulbs with LED bulbs. I could not find one (not saying there isn’t one out there) that was bright enough. I will probably do something else really custom at some point in the future.

For the rear turn signals, where they are not on all the time, I have no need or want to replace them with LED’s at this time. I prefer the brighter incandescent bulbs and the safety that comes with them.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

I agree about the different colour (amber) for the turn indicators. Most cagers are sleeping anyways.

I also installed a brake light modulator last year and that is really eye-catching. I have it set for four quick flashes and then solid on.

Oops, highjack !

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
There are some 7watt 1156 LED bulbs that are brighter than a 21watt incandescent bulb which are available now.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
There are some 7watt 1156 LED bulbs that are brighter than a 21watt incandescent bulb which are available now.

Do you have a link ?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.