Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recommend NOT to install red LED's for the backlight on dashboard! I tried it and the speed and tach will not show up at night. I did install blue LED's per other peoples suggestions. Worlds of difference! I did install the red LED's above and below the LCD and that does work. The red installed below the LCD did luminate the fuel and temp nicely. The photo is the last attempt I have currently made. All blue LED for LCD and backlight.

WLED-x6: 194 LED Bulb - 6 LED Wedge Base WLED-B6: Blue
Dash Backlight x 4

74-xHP3: 74 LED Bulb - 3 SMD LED Wide Angle Wedge Base
74-BHP3: Blue
LCD (Qty 2)

I also changed the Nuetral, Overdrive, Side Stand, Turn indicators, and license plate bulbs to LED. This is the parts ordered from http://www.superbrightleds.com/

WLED-x4-x: 194 LED Bulb - 4 LED Wedge Base
Options: WLED-G4-32: Green Narrow
NUETRAL DASH x1

WLED-x4-x: 194 LED Bulb - 4 LED Wedge Base
Options: WLED-A4-32: Amber Narrow
OVERDRIVE AND KICKSTAND DASH x2

74-xHP: 74 LED Bulb - 1 SMD LED Wedge Base
Options: 74-AHP: Amber
TURN SIGNAL DASH x2

WLED-x5: 194 LED Bulb - 5 LED Wide Angle Wedge Base
Options: WLED-NW5: Natural White
LICENSE PLATE x1

Custom made a bracket to hold IPOD or anything in water tight case on left of bike or can be mounted on left handlebar. Drink and phone holder on right side with GPS mounted in water tight case in middle. Power ports installed inside both side pockets and one on left handlebar. Still designing a camera mount and voltage meter for handlebars yet. Just installed the Air Wings last night and need to see how great these work out.
Once the designs are proven, I will use acorn nuts to dress out the look. Just did a 1000 plus miles on a trip and so far the dash improvements made for a great trip.

Attachments

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I never did believe in LEDs on motor vehicles, at least not as lights. My former father in law had an LED tail/brake light fail on his 2003 Dodge Ram pickup, and it cost him over $150 to replace the board that had all the LEDs on it, instead of a couple bucks for a new bulb. Dealer only part.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will not install the tail/brake lights. A lot more expense and not worth it to me, but the dash is very inexpensive and changing the colors makes it unique. Very noticable change also in the day light. There is a reason why the high beam is not modified! Too bright for night riding.
With the age of my bike, the bulbs were needing repair in the near future anyways, so it was the perfect time to upgrade and replace all the standard bulbs. Might not be for everyone, but if you have to do the repair anyways the cost difference is next to none!
Almost $2 per bulb verses $2.59 LED direct replacement????? I like my upgrade.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Worth every penny. Same goes for the lower lifespan headlight H4's I used.
when I'm tooling down the road, I look at all those other bikes- from all the angles.
Yanno.......the ones I can see 1/4 mile away? typically LED setups.
If that brighter front or rear shaves .0000001% off my chance of a cager using the classic "I didn't see him", its CHEAP
I feel silly wearing bright yellow helmet and lime green armor jacket too, same reason. Cool only lasts till you wake up in the ER
dash light LED swap out is strictly for me, however, LOL

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I did all the running lights and dash with LED's, i did not do the low fuel light, or the cruise, as these stay on. i also wired led's in the hand controls, and the stereo, what a difference. I did not covert brake or signal lights

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I am like the whole look of that dash the more I look at it.
Yup, so "blue" is the proper color for overall effect?
yup, that looks like a must have for my 1200, are the LED's the same part number?
thanks

CWG

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked up our bikes and did a comparison. Not sure what your bulbs would be like, but someone on the forum must have posted 1200 part numbers. Just don't go red! I might install the red under my LCD to give the fuel and temp contrast. Short on time due to an upcoming trip, but this is an area I want to experiment with.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Not sure what colors would work best in a 1200, the 1500's either have a dark dash or white dash(98 and 99 i believe) and the blue led works well behind them for the dash and lcd cluster. Some people have just removed the "film" coating on the stock bulbs to brighten things up and that would work too, but if you have it open you might as well change to led bulbs which last longer and draw less voltage....I would not recommend putting an led behind your hi beam indicator in any bike, it makes it very bright if you ride a lot at night.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only do the ones listed. If you change the oil, fuel, and the two cruise bulbs to LED, they will stay on all the time. IF you change the Hi Beam, I heard someone put a 35mm negative in their too to tame down the brightness, but yet benefit from the LED.
My bike is an 99SE, not sure on other models, but test as you go!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.