Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
imported post

My 1200 used to concern me, especially at stop lights, and towing a well lit trailer.... with  10 "queen " lights, side,and front side lights, top box, and bumper all lit (way too many lights) , .... and the concern was  not the low voltage at a stop sign , but the fact that it took 3 to 5 miles to come up to  14 volts after a night startup, and many miles  , even without the trailer  to bounce back to 14 after applying the brakes   ... Going shopping at night meant that I was forced to  connect a trickle charger every night../forums/images/emoticons/shock.gif....                                                                                                                                                                                                I looked into LED's .. and there are three problems.... They must face rearward, they must be Red in a red lens, orange in an orange lens, white in a white,  and  they are quite pricey...... and adding a dropping resistor will not help the stator problem ... the battery will have to drive the LED ,and heat up the resistor as well....    /forums/images/emoticons/mad.gif                                                                                                                                                                                     My really cheap  fix ?                                                                                              I  added an EC harness, and every spring I clean up  ALL the posts,  all the grounds, and all the fuses,   hard solder what I can, and clean the nub on the end of each bulb, specially the 1157's , in both the trailer, and bike... The charging system comes back to 14.2 within  2 minutes of startup, and  I can run around with the trailer , and all the lights,and new 35 watt driving lights ,too, and  it still bounces back quickly to  14.2 ../forums/images/emoticons/big_grin.gif. I think  all that ground connection, and  all that bulb base /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gifresistance really starts to add up ..........  /forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gif                                                                                                                                                                and Yes ... standing at a long stop light, brake on, radio blaring,  does drive the battery down to 11 or so.... but its back up within a few blocks, and I rarely have to add a trickle charger  anymore ./forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/weightlifter.gif.                                                                                                                                            SilverDave 

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.