Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a light skirt around the back of my wing. Behind it I wired 'alot' of red ground effet lights the worked SO well onto the ground.....

The units had 3 lights per case and cheap cause I bought them thru a computer graphis lighting sight. Anyway, I took off the skirt and so the LED's.

I tried them facing outward and not to the ground and say a six inch distance and the they don't seem as bright or to have the effect of a light bulb like what was in my skirt. Is this my imagination? Or how do you rate these types of bulbs.....other than a cluster of 50, they seem to have no face on projection. Am I wrong or what should I be looking for?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

They come in all sizes, beam angles, colors and intensities diffused or clear.
You have to select what you want and then if they are not already setup to run at 12-15v then you have to calculate, obtain and attach the correct current limiting resistor with a wattage capable of the power you are dumping through them to the LEDs.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Huh....the lights didn't have any ratings on them....I never used them for more than round effects (High night riding visibility) I never thought of the distance equation til I tried to use it for thatpurpose. Arelights rated for their use in this purpose with LED's.

The lights I was using never posed a drain on the battery I could detect on my onboard meter that would cause a problem.

The issue is, are the bulbs built to project different light intensity at different distances?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'm thnking 'LED Flashlight'.

Is there a reflector behind the LED's to throw the light forward?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Rudy has it right, there are many different sizes, packagesSMT/thru hole, many different colors (think frequencies) and many different beam angles/ and dispersions.

Optical output is directly dependant on current upto the datasheet specs.

Also by changing the distance from the lens can have a very dramatic effect.

So it is not an easy answer.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Typically the LED's on our bikes are very bright to be seen, but usless for lighting up the road away from the bike.

But yes there are many different LED's available.

In the flashlight version they are backed by a reflector which is what is throwing the light out ahead of the flashlight.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK, thanks, I totally didn't know anything (and actually still don't) about the different LED's. I bought the little rectangular ones that had 3 red lights in them. I linked them every 4" behind my rear skirt lighting aiming to the ground. It put a great red seemless red line all the way on the ground. Virtually no drain on the battery. When I bought them there was no info, ratings, beam pattern on the package. So I assumed a lite is a lite is a lite. When I removed the skirt because it was pretty raggedy with alot of light damage I attempted to aim the bulb out...and basically they suck. Thanks for all this data, i'll read up on this. I was just gonna do it cause I had all the lights. Any other info on this is welcome too, a link to a sight that got details would be nice if someone knows of it.

Al

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

I have mad all of my purchases from superbrightled.com. They provide information on the intensity. Early LEDs were of a not so bright design and they have advanced to higher intensity and are making leaps into replacing incandescent totally. I have done alot of lighting and others here are doing even more. From driving truck the superbright leds are far more visible and boarder too bright. I want bright as I have seen how bikes disappear into the cars in front of the truck and I would rather possibly increase my chances of being seen.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

bobalou,

ground effects on a bike are awesome. Without my skirt lighting to attach the lights to I don't know which way to really go. BUT i will tell you this, if I do put any additional lighting to be seen, it will be on an on/off switch dealing with the iffy charging system the 1500 has. Being able to shut down to minimum power drain to stay on the road is imperative for these bikes. Not toDis the bike i'd say this, there's no reason in the day to dusk to have abunch of lighting draining the battery, selective use is the answer. Now I just gotta fiure out how the heck to get the lights I have to do the work I want. To Rudy and everyone, thanks for the links and all this stuff I didn't know about LEDS.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Predator wrote:
Now I just gotta fiure out how the heck to get the lights I have to do the work I want.

...check this out below. Fully automatic. Of course, have it on a switched "ON" circuit for main power.

edit: the ramp-up/ramp-down feature is really nice. Something noone else is doing..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.