Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I went to register my bike for 2019 and the left brake light won't turn on.
I put in a new bulb and also tried switching the bulb from the other side and still the second filament in the bulb won't light up when depressing the brake. Only the lower filament that stays on works. The right side is fine. It must be some kind of wiring issue.
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
Is it the one on the trunk or on the saddlebag?

·
Registered
653 Posts
You might check the socket, itself, for overheating and melting of the little disc in that assembly that keeps pressure on the brake bulb filament terminal. I had a similar issue with my lower cowl lights from running hot bulbs in those sockets. Weak connections can also cause it.

·
Administrator
24,339 Posts
If the problem is not in the socket look at the connectors under the back of the trunk, lower cover removed.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Left Brake Light on Trunk

Do the brake lights on your trunk alternate back and forth (left to right).....? If so, you have a "wig/wag" or a "relay" in the circuit. That could cause the issue.

If the socket checks out good then remove the panel under the trunk (4 screws).

Disconnect the Red (6-pin) connector at the left rear corner of the trunk. Look close, its there.......!

Check the 6-pin connector for contamination, broken wire etc.

There should be voltage on the Green/Yellow wire with the brake activated (that's the power source to the bulb).

You know it is not a ground issue, your running light is working.

All other connections in the brake circuit are good, your right brake light is working.....!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DBohrer/Dave0430,
The brake lights don't alternate.
I'll check out the socket for damage and also remove the trunk cover and look for
any issues with the 6-pin connector or any broken wires etc.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have a look on my day off tomorrow and get back to you guys.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took that trunk cover off as suggested. Here's what I tried.
1. Took a steel brush to the inside of the sockets two contacts to so see if there was any corrosion causing the light to not make contact.
2. Looked at the six pin connector under the trunk for any loose or disconnected wires. Shot with DeoxIT D5 cleaner to remove any corrosion.
3. Removed electrical tape from spliced in wires to check for poor connections. Replaced electrical tape.

Nothing here worked. All wires seem firmly connected. I guess I'll have to take it in to the shop.
Thanks for all the good suggestions.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Did you check for voltage on the green/yellow wire with the brake on like DBohrer suggested? You should measure voltage from that wire to ground with the brake operated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you check for voltage on the green/yellow wire with the brake on like DBohrer suggested? You should measure voltage from that wire to ground with the brake operated.

Bellboy 40, I'd don't have a volt meter to check it with. If I purchase one, what would it show me if faulty, and how would I go about fixing it?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
That connector is right there near the brake/tail light assembly. If you read voltage there with the brake on (and ignition switch on) you know everything back to that connector is good. You should be able to see the wire go from that connector to the light socket and another green/yellow going back toward the splice where the power is coming from. The trouble almost has to be in that area because you said the other side works and it gets its power from the same source (but through another connector on the other side).

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they often have a coupon for a free voltmeter when you purchase anything else there. Or you could buy a test light there for less than $5.00 that you could use to test for battery voltage at the connector.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts

Bellboy 40, I'd don't have a volt meter to check it with. If I purchase one, what would it show me if faulty, and how would I go about fixing it?
Rick.............

Look at the attached diagram.

You have power at the splice.

You need to check the Green/Yellow wire between the splice and the 6-pin Red connector (left side of trunk)

You need to check for power on the Green/Yellow wire at the 6-pin Red connector (left side of trunk).

You need to check for power on the Green/Yellow wire at the brake light socket (left side of trunk).

You can use a test light to check for power. Put the alligator clip on frame ground, put the probe on the green/yellow wire. The test light should illuminate.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bellboy 40 / DBohrer,

Looking at the diagram (thank you!) I see what you mean.
The problem must be either the socket or 6-pin connector on the left.
I'll pickup a test light and give this a shot.

I'm much better at repairing guitars than motorcycles!

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Hey Dave, that is a good sketch of the simplified wiring for the brake lights.

·
Premium Member
3,362 Posts
Bellboy 40 / DBohrer,

Looking at the diagram (thank you!) I see what you mean.
The problem must be either the socket or 6-pin connector on the left.
I'll pickup a test light and give this a shot.

I'm much better at repairing guitars than motorcycles![/quote]

I have two cousins that live in Fort Worth and North Richland Hills. Been to the Stockyards, saw Diamond Rio there a few years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts