1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to replace the Left hand handlebar controls on my F6B
Should be the same as a GL1800?
I have no idea how????:confused:
Any help much appreciated (Full every Word Description)
Any Photos more appreciated
Thanks Heaps from the land Down Under

·
Administrator
24,666 Posts
The procedure is simple enough the manual doesn't even give instructions. Follow the wiring to it's destination, remove appropriate plastics, disconnect wiring, remove the screws from the bottom of the switch assembly, reassemble in reverse order.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You did not give the year of you F6B, so I just went with the 2016 to compare the two. The switches have different part numbers. Looking at the parts fiche, the Gold Wing unit is back lit, the F6B is not. You may run into a problem with the wiring connector trying to hook up the wing unit. The connector on your bike will not have the same size connector because it will not have the wires for the backlight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I suggest you have a service manual handy.

While changing the cluster isn't rocket science.

You will need to be handy with tools.

You'll have to remove/ Side covers/Seat/Shelter/Front side pockets/Meter-speaker cover/Handle bar harness covers

To expose the area you'll be working in.

From the it's a simple remove the 3 screws from the bottom of the cluster and trace the harness to its connector on the front left,above the radiator.

Change the cluster.and re-install the parts you just removed.

To your theory of the B model & 1800 being the same?

They are - in that the cluster changing/removal process is the same!!

Different clusters!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jobs done
What you will need is a Philips head screw driver
A Blade screwdriver
A 10mm socket
A swear jar
Remove the gauges surround
Lift the gauges up out of the way
Remove the petrol fill surround
Remove the Right hand side Tupperware
Now follow the loom from the left hand controls
You will see where the loom is held by wires bent over
Bend them back out of the way to release the loom
You will see how the loom goes around to the right and up into a hidy hole
Now you will see an alloy bracket that a connector is held their
Now the alloy bracket is holds the connector by 2 Philips head screws that you cant undo? SUCKS
Take the Blade screwdriver and use it to wedge the connection off the bracket (Too easy)
Now with hand like a Japanese grab the connectors
The connector for the left hand controls is the smaller one
Like in the photo
The gl1800 will have also a smaller one which is for the Cruise Control
IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0066.JPG IMG_0068.JPG

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
You did not give the year of you F6B, so I just went with the 2016 to compare the two. The switches have different part numbers. Looking at the parts fiche, the Gold Wing unit is back lit, the F6B is not. You may run into a problem with the wiring connector trying to hook up the wing unit. The connector on your bike will not have the same size connector because it will not have the wires for the backlight.
The GL has the CB switches as part of the cluster. I don't believe the F6B has the same cluster.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The GL has the CB switches as part of the cluster. I don't believe the F6B has the same cluster.
It all depends on option level. Some share the same part number, while others add CB, Navi, backlight, etc. Lots of different part numbers for that item.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
The F6B does not have the same options as the GL. The factory CB will not fit the F6, hence the controls for the CB are not there.
Completely different part numbers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts