Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys. Been finding a lot of good info here for work that I am going to do this winter on the wing.

The headlight dimmer switch went bad on my bike (80 1100)and I bought a used one on ebay for twenty bucks total that came off of an 83. When I got done with the install I found I had two wires left over. They were as long as the other wires and ended up behind the headlight.

What are they for? Everything works fine and just like they are supposed to. Were these wires for an auto shutoff on the blinker switch or are they for the neutral switch in the clutch. I was in kind of a hurry when I installed it on the bike so I didn't have the time to try and trace them back up into the switch.

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

The 83 has self canceling turn signals and the extra wires are for the solenoid that turns the switch off. Your bike also has the clutch switch so it should have had those wires already.

·
alex80wing
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Dave and Keith. To see the color of the wires I will have to take the fairing off and that isn't going to happen until I take the front fork off to get the seals replaced. I kind of figured it had something to do with the turn signals but wasn't sure. The solenoid is something I will have to look for this winter to install before next spring.
Thanks again.

·
Administrator
26,578 Posts
imported post

alex80wing wrote:
The solenoid is something I will have to look for this winter to install before next spring.
Thanks again.
The solenoid is built into the switch housing so it is probably already there, it's the rest of the system you would have to install to have self canceling turn signals and many complain they don't work right anyway. It wasn't very reliable on my 83.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.