Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 GL1800 and I noticed the left heated grip coming on yesterday on a 60 degree plus day. At first I thought it was just my imagination but soon the grip got very hot and stayed that way for awhile. It finally went off, I'm assuming it must have an overheat feature that shuts it down.

The right grip didn't come on at all. I recycled the grip heat switch 2-3 times Off and On but it didn't seem to do anything. The grip switch is mounted on the right sub panel but I'm not sure if it is an OEM or an aftermarket grip. I'm the second owner of the bike, 25,000 miles, and I've never noticed this before and the grip(s) have never got that hot.

Any thoughts on what to look for?

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,377 Posts
That is a Honda accessory. I would guess there is a short somewhere, short to power or short to ground, no wiring diagram for those in the ETM.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Or maybe a bad switch.

OldRider, does the switch click from one position to the next (multi-contacts) or does slide smooth giving you infinite settings between off and max (rheostat)?

·
Administrator
24,377 Posts
Or maybe a bad switch.

OldRider, does the switch click from one position to the next (multi-contacts) or does slide smooth giving you infinite settings between off and max (rheostat)?
I would think the switch would make both come on together.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switch kind of has a click between settings but not a real detent feel. Even though it has dots for the switch positions to move to, it has always felt kind of "soft" as I rotated it, almost like a rheostat feel. I need to pull it out when I get a chance and see if there is anything obvious, making this happen. It it isn't obvious and it keeps up I will probably disconnect it right now.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Dave has a good point, Since both grips work off the single switch, a bad switch would affect both grips.

That being said, does the RIGHT grip get hot when you turn the switch on? If so, then that's further evidence of a wire fault on the left grip.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took the subpanel part with the switch in it off just below the right pocket. I was surprised how easy that came apart. There are three wires coming out of the switch to a gray connector and three wires going out to the grips. I didn't see any frayed or broken wires. I took the switch off from the back of the little panel and then took a small metal bracket off from the back of the switch. The metal bracket has a piece of metal that acts as the detent to notches in the black plastic knob. When you pull the knob off it looks just like the shaft on a radio if you pulled a volume knob off.

The switch with the knob off could be turned easily and you can feel the Off/On part of it. The metal detent piece gives it the detent feel as you rotate it. So I couldn't see anything outward and the switch felt normal at that point so I just put it back together for another day. The switch knob now feels positive, lines up with the Off/On position and the red dots. I couldn't try it out because it is raining out and the bike is in my basement so I'll see how it is working the next time I ride it.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
12 Posts
Here's (hopefully) the first page of the install instructions for Hondaline's heated grips, 08T50-MCA-102 (the entire 16-page document was too big to upload). Looking at the wiring diagram, I think there might be *two* problems here. First, the switch/controller may have failed in the on position, providing power to the grips. Second, there may be a short to ground between the two grips so that the one grip gets more power (and thus more heat) than usual, while the other grip gets no power at all. If the other grip had simply failed, neither grip would've worked since they're wired in series. What are your thoughts?

More bad news: unless things have changed since my switch/controller last failed in 2008, I'm sorry to say that the only way to replace *any* of the parts in this kit was to buy the complete kit, which cost me $302 back then. Still more bad news: a quick search on the part number turns up a lot of "no longer available" results on various dealer websites, which means that some experimentation with other heat controller units might be needed to get the grips back to working correctly, once the short is found & fixed.
Hope this was helpful.

Attachments

·
Administrator
24,377 Posts
Here's (hopefully) the first page of the install instructions for Hondaline's heated grips, 08T50-MCA-102 (the entire 16-page document was too big to upload). Looking at the wiring diagram, I think there might be *two* problems here. First, the switch/controller may have failed in the on position, providing power to the grips. Second, there may be a short to ground between the two grips so that the one grip gets more power (and thus more heat) than usual, while the other grip gets no power at all. If the other grip had simply failed, neither grip would've worked since they're wired in series. What are your thoughts?

More bad news: unless things have changed since my switch/controller last failed in 2008, I'm sorry to say that the only way to replace *any* of the parts in this kit was to buy the complete kit, which cost me $302 back then. Still more bad news: a quick search on the part number turns up a lot of "no longer available" results on various dealer websites, which means that some experimentation with other heat controller units might be needed to get the grips back to working correctly, once the short is found & fixed.
Hope this was helpful.
Looking at that diagram it would take 2 things being wrong for the left grip to come on by itself, shorts to both power and ground or short to power and the switch stuck on. If by chance the wiring to the grips were switched it would only take a short to ground on the first one in the series for it to come on full heat.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took a ride yesterday, first time since putting the switch back in. It was ok for awhile but then the left grip started heating up again. I then tried to cycle the switch a few times off and on then off and through the positions to see if it might shut it off, it didn't. So then I just turned the switch on to see if the right grip would heat up. The right grip did heat up and the left grip never felt like it got as hot as it did the other day. It was a 54 degree day yesterday and the heat on my left hand actually felt pretty good on my thumb joint that I'm starting to have a little arthritis in. I almost think the switch/controller is bad because I can't shut the grips off but I can control them a little.

·
Administrator
24,377 Posts
It would only be the switch if BOTH grips wouldn't turn off.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all, just a quick update. I found the two wires from the left grip under the handlebar so I removed the little metal plate that holds the wires, brake line and such. I unplugged the wires and did a quick continuity check and it was just a few ohms as I remember. One of the wires had some darkened spots on both terminal ends inside the clear plastic connector cover. The dark spots looked more like old and discolored plastic but I suppose they could have been burn spots where the metal plate was touching them? Anyway I put it back together and have taken a couple of rides and both grips turn on and off and appear to be working normal.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right after the last post about the grips they started to heat back up on my next rides. They got so hot one afternoon I had to stop the bike and get into the right pocket and disconnect the switch.

I finally tore into it, first removing the meter panel that covers the gauges and then the plastic cover that screws to the Bridge, Fork Top. It was immediately clear what the problem was when I removed the bridge plastic cover and found the wires running from the switch on the right subpanel were chaffed. The wires weren’t tucked under the plastic cover far enough and the loose wires were pinched when the handle bars were moved from side to side. I repaired and covered the wires with tape and re-routed them under the plastic cover and 'Voila', I had operational heated grips again.

I had my Stem Bearings replaced last Fall and when the mechanic put it back together he didn't route the wires correctly.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts