Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, I just got a new OEM left mirror But i cant figure out how to replace it. Ive seen people saying just to peel the boot back but thats impossible, the boot it so tight on there that i can only peel it back by ripping it. is there a secret to this? Im also replacing the headlight bulb, how do i access this? how many bulbs do i need. Should i get LED or Halogen?

·
(Rick Sheeley GWRRA)
659 Posts
If it's a GL1500, try poping the mirror trim first.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks ken, it worked!! now about replacing my headlight bulb, should i get LED, HID or halogen? also, I heard you can "aim" it? how do you do that exactly?

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I live in the country and try not to ride at night But when I do I like to be able to see.

I tried the best ($$$) halogens and found I could not see good enough for night riding.

I installed a hid kit.
I aimed the light down and to the right.
There is glare due to the reflector being the wrong shape for hid.

I will be looking for a pair of hid driving lights (simulator to fog lights but for distance)
Once they are installed I think I'll go back to the single stock halogen bulb.

I find the HID helps people see me during the day much better than the stock bulb ever has.

I would not recommend HID because the glare is horrible and blinding to others on the road at night.

·
life is good
1,155 Posts
hey all, I just got a new OEM left mirror But i cant figure out how to replace it. Ive seen people saying just to peel the boot back but thats impossible, the boot it so tight on there that i can only peel it back by ripping it. is there a secret to this? Im also replacing the headlight bulb, how do i access this? how many bulbs do i need. Should i get LED or Halogen?
try the 55 watt silverstar ultra its a very bright white light i like em . and you can get them at a auto part store H4is the kind you get 2 of them also.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
I also like the Silverstar bulbs a lot! Replacements can be had at Wally World if needed so no issue if one goes out. My current set have been in a couple years and are great! I ride quite a bit at night.

·
Just Winging It
3,324 Posts
I also like the Silverstar bulbs a lot! Replacements can be had at Wally World if needed so no issue if one goes out. My current set have been in a couple years and are great! I ride quite a bit at night.
The 1500 has 2 bulbs the 1200 has only 1.

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
When my bike was new, I was amazed at how much better the headlight was compared to the standard round bulb on the 750F. I think a lot of it has to do with the reflector getting old and relatively dull. Now the beam seems dim, even with the Silver-Star bulb.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,230 Posts
The 1500 has 2 bulbs the 1200 has only 1.
OK, so buy a pair (cheaper than one at a time) and you also have a replacement for the glove box if you feel the desire to tote it around.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When my bike was new, I was amazed at how much better the headlight was compared to the standard round bulb on the 750F. I think a lot of it has to do with the reflector getting old and relatively dull. Now the beam seems dim, even with the Silver-Star bulb.[/QUOis there anything you can do about a bad reflector? are replacements easy to find? okay 55 wat silver star it is!

·
Administrator
21,862 Posts
No, there isn't much you can do about the reflector. You can open it up and wash the inside of the glass but the reflector is a very thin and delicate chrome coating. I tried to clean mine but Windex damaged it irreparably.
What's weird was, that didn't seem to change the beam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.