Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed aftermarket heated grips on my 07GL1800. After this, I noticed that the left tail light and the running light on the left front mirror had stopped working. Turn signals and brake lights are all working fine. I’m wondering if I disconnected a connector while fishing the heated grip power cable up under the faring? I checked bulbs and they appear intact and also checked fuses. Power for the grips is sourced directly from the battery. I appreciate any thoughts and troubleshooting recommendations.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
The tail lights and front position light have nothing in common in the wiring, 2 completely different circuits. First check power to the sockets & go back and recheck the bulbs.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Also switch the turn signals left & right and see if the position lights come on the opposite side from the signal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input! Occam's razor was definitely at play here - the simplest solution solved the problem. I replaced the bulbs and that fixed the problems. My visual inspection of the bulbs failed me! Thanks for the straightforward advice.

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
1800 bulbs don't have a metal cap. The one in this image has a broken filament.
Sports equipment Helmet Chair Sleeve Drinkware

·
Administrator
28,071 Posts
Actually, the tail light circuit powers the front position light filaments, but it can’t power just one side and not the other. Glad it was just the bulbs.
The tail relay does but that's as far as they are connected. If it failed they would all be out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts