Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Fall I bought a new Shift Shaft seal for my '98 SE and one evening I went out to tackle the job. There are a few 8mm cap nuts that hold the lower metal trim panel on. The very 1st one I tried to loosen broke right off flush with the trim panel.
5 Months later I'm ready to try again because we had one 70 degree day and I should be riding again soon.
Any Suggestions on NOT breaking off the rest of those nuts/studs??

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
You might spray them with PB Blaster several times a a few days leading up to when you plan the work day. Also sometimes I find that first tightening the nut ever so slightly the go to loosen .

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll update when I get started

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today is day 2 of putting PB Blaster on the nuts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Day 5 - been putting PB Blaster on every day... I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
What is mouse milk ? Iv'e not heard of that elixor for penetrating fluid.
A stand by in the aviation industry. Not sure why it isn't sold in other markets, but it is now on Amazon, so maybe that will change. Just like Kroil and CLP are mostly known in firearms circles. And Howes is used in heavy truck repair.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How Hard should I Tap on the nuts?
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, A little Tapa-Tapa on the cap nuts and they came off without much effort - There's Plenty of PB Blaster in there to clean up now, in addition to the shift shaft seal leaking- It's a mess in/under here.
I'm installing a new shift shaft seal And a shifter pivot support thingy so it should remove most of the shaft slop and shift like new.
Auto part Composite material Tool Metal Nickel
Automotive tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Virtually all brake cleaners contain acetone, trichloroethylene, or tetrachloroethylene. Not good for ABS. There are plastic safe cleaners for the electronics industry, or just a mild detergent like Simple Green will do the job safely.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Degreaser we use in the Tool-n-Die industry called Fastball, it's pretty awesome stuff. smells kinda like Simple Green. totally safe for ABS and painted surfaces. cleans garage floors that have had lots of PB Blaster dripped on them too! GRIN

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HELP.. I'm literally AT this point - there is Not enough room to take the inner shift part off the spline. It hits the frame and can not come clear of the shaft to come all the way out/off the spline! Do I need to move the engine ??
Gas Wood Tints and shades Fixture Auto part

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I already posted here- but maybe few are seeing it?..

I got the inner shift part ALMOST off but it hits the frame and can not come clear of the shift shaft... Do I need to move the engine??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts