Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow I left the key on on the 1500 and the AGM battery was so dead I could not jump start it,battery charger would not even show the least charge on the needle,left it on for 2 hrs.
Kinda figured I had killed it so I looked on you tube and there was a video on resurrection of dead AGM battery,
They guy connected a good AGM battery to the dead one and put the charger on the good battery so that’s what I did and left it for 3 hrs,the bike battery showed 12 volts so I put it back in the bike but it didn’t have the amps to start it but I jumped it and it did start,ya,
I rode it for 50 miles and came home and it did start on it own but only after letting off the starter button which is common for weak battery,
I put the charger on it for 4 hours and now it starts just like it did befor I left the key on,saved me 200$

·
Administrator
28,935 Posts
I have done that trick before
, it doesn't necessarily have to be an AGM as long as it's a good battery.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s good to know,otherwise I would have bought a new battery,it acted like a dead cell

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,582 Posts
I too have done just that,
when I found my bike with the GPS left on, battery was at 4.x volts.
Natch, none of my chargers would accept it as a "chargeable battery"

jumped it with a spare bike battery, and left it for an hour, came back and put the Trickle Charger back on, and it has been working fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t understand why it would do that but glad it did

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
It's because most modern chargers require the battery to have a minimum voltage. This is for features like reverse polarity protection and auto sensing voltage, etc. Older chargers don't care, or you can use a bench power supply to bring the battery up to a level where the charger will accept it.

·
Administrator
28,935 Posts

·
Registered
‘91 gl1500
39 Posts
I recently bought a battery that I thought was a good brand for my 1500. Did some research, and it had good reviews. Put the battery in, and it wasn’t enough to start the bike. I charged it up and it was fine, or so I thought. went three weeks without riding and it was down to almost 4 volts. To make a long story short, I contacted the seller, and after a few frustrating email later they sent me a new battery which I kept a tender on. Recently, I changed the radio which had no accessory wire, so when I shut it off, there is no draw. Had to put the tender on the Mrs. Accord for about a week, as it had been sitting for a while, and when I went to start the bike (didn’t ride for that week because Massachusetts decided she wanted to act like Texas and have near 100 degree weather for a couple weeks) the battery was completely dead, no voltage whatsoever. When I tried to charge it, my charger displayed “defective battery”. I had heard of the bringing the battery back to life method but bought another, same brand that I bought for my 1200 that was almost five years old when I sold it. I am now in a pissing duel with the other company as to wether they will take the three month batter back or not.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine will set for a month and still fire right off without a tender.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have a charger that will attempt to charge a completely dead battery. https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS10-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W3QT226
That Force Mode is a nice feature. I'm surprised the lawyers let them put that in.

Reminds me of a customer that had a tractor that wouldn't start. He managed to charge the battery backwards. I swapped the wires and it fired right up. Ended up having to hook up that battery to a headlight for a week to drain it down then charged it back up with the right polarity and it actually worked fine. I was a bit surprised that it survived.

• Haha
Reactions: Shooter

·
Administrator
28,935 Posts
Reminds me of a customer that had a tractor that wouldn't start. He managed to charge the battery backwards. I swapped the wires and it fired right up. Ended up having to hook up that battery to a headlight for a week to drain it down then charged it back up with the right polarity and it actually worked fine. I was a bit surprised that it survived.
I heard years ago that is a way to restore a bad battery.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
1,076 Posts
Must've been an older tractor with an old style DC Generator. If it had an alternator the diode bridge won't let you put a charger on in reverse polarity, the diodes will present as a "Short" in that direction.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts