Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
'81 naked Wing
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took my newly acquired '81 naked Wing down to pretty much engine & frame. Fuel tank & carbs cleaned, new tires & brakes. When I got done, I had a spacer/washer, 2.6mm thick, 23.82 mm OD, 16.95 mm ID. Looks like it belongs on the rear axle, left side.
Problem is, I can't find it pictured in the parts books. I also wouldn't know where in the "stack" it should be, inside or outside the caliper arm.
There is already a larger washer/spacer between the axle head & the brake caliper arm.
Maybe a coincidence but as the bike is, the rear disc/pads "squeal" when the bike is rolled backwards & the rear brake is kinda spongy. (I've ridden it about 15 miles like that.) I'm thinking that the "missing?" spacer causes the caliper arm to be offset, making the pads contact the disc crookedly.
Does anybody know where this little spacer/washer belongs?
HELP!, please.
Jim-Bob

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Picture,?

Reactions: tpd1749

·
Administrator
29,144 Posts
It is not an axle spacer. I have had every piece of an 1100 in my hand & I don't recognize that, but it has been a while.

·
Registered
1980 Goldwing - Standard
93 Posts
Hello Jim-Bob

Your question evokes a memory. I have a 1980 Standard Goldwing. I don’t profess to be a mechanic, but rather handy.

About 10 or 15 years ago I had to remove my rear wheel assembly to remove a leaking gas tank. Upon reassembly I found my rear wheel binding. There were no extra parts in my hands or on the floor. I think I had incorrectly put a washer (spacer) on the end of the axle where the bolt and cotter pin were located. I relocated the washer and the binding stopped. Now, I can’t remember if it was on the outside or inside of the caliber housing.

I researched my Honda Goldwing Service Manual for 1980-1983. Hopefully, I’m going to attach a picture where it shows the washer. However, the picture is not that clear. It looks like the washer goes on the outside of the caliper housing. I would have thought otherwise. But you can try both locations to see if it stops the binding.

I hope this helps! Please let us know. This is a spectacular website! I’ve visited the site several times over the years. I was just on there 2 weeks looking to see if a left sided antenna mount was available to mount an American flag on a CB antenna. Pure Texas helped me out and the flag is strongly mounted. Good Luck!

Colin Young
(7 miles west of Boston)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Zooming on it ,it doesn’t look like a washer but the seal that goes in the wheel that the #3 bushing goes into but it’s been 35 years since I’ve been into the 82 I had

·
Registered
'81 naked Wing
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is not an axle spacer. I have had every piece of an 1100 in my hand & I don't recognize that, but it has been a while.
Colin,
Well, this is weird. I put all rhe parts coming off the bike into a plastic shoe box & this was the only thing left when I finished reassembling.
It is definitely not a seal. It is a washer/spacer thing. The washer between the hub bearing & the inside of the caliper arm (larger diameter) is also there although I MIGHT have installed it incorrectly on the outside, between swing & caliper arm. I'll check.
Dave 0430,
Maybe it's NOT an axe spacer. It just happens to fit the axle bolt SO well. I had front wheel, gas tank, carbs, seat & rear fenders off Not the front forks. Does that look like it might fit front axle or somewhere else?

·
Administrator
29,144 Posts
Colin,
Well, this is weird. I put all rhe parts coming off the bike into a plastic shoe box & this was the only thing left when I finished reassembling.
It is definitely not a seal. It is a washer/spacer thing. The washer between the hub bearing & the inside of the caliper arm (larger diameter) is also there although I MIGHT have installed it incorrectly on the outside, between swing & caliper arm. I'll check.
Dave 0430,
Maybe it's NOT an axe spacer. It just happens to fit the axle bolt SO well. I had front wheel, gas tank, carbs, seat & rear fenders off Not the front forks. Does that look like it might fit front axle or somewhere else?
It may fit the axle and may well have been in between the swing arm and the caliper bracket but it's not what belongs there. It should have been a larger OD flat washer or a collar similar to the inner one. Neither would make any difference in where the bracket sits. Only the inner flanged collar determines that, small end goes in the wheel.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Here’s where I think that piece goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
'81 naked Wing
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, guys, thanks for all your replies so far.
Today, I feel foolish. Having taken the wheel back off, I find that the spacer/washer fits the THREADED part of the axle, but not the larger smooth part.
Now , looking at the bike & what I took apart, it might belong to the left side seat latch mechanism.
Jim-Bob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts