Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this has been beaten before but I would like to address it again.

Being a female with longer than average legs for a female and I have found that the shifting on the 1500 is like what I would think a crotch rocket would be. My knees are behind and also being older my knees are not in the best shape.
I have some pegs but they only help once I get out and running. Any suggestions on helping with this issue. Love the wing but have only been able to put 250 on it since I have gotten it due to life issues. :lash: DARN!
Thanks as always you all come up with great stuff!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have somewhat the same problem, just doesn't feel like a lot of leg room. I got some material that I will wrap around some cushion to see if that will help with #1 the comfort of the seat on long rides and #2 to get some height in the seating position. Im gonna start with 3" cushion and see if that helps, then go thicker or thinner depending on what I need.

Check to see if there is a seat adjustment on yours. They generally go forwards and back a few inches, doesn't sound like much but it's a lot.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

I am 6'3" and bought my Wing used. The previous owner had a custom seat or had the seat customized (not sure which--no name brand on the bottom of the seat) so it moves the rider up a couple of inches and back about 2-3 inches. Makes a big difference and makes for a pretty comfortable ride, but for long trips I still will need to get a set of Mic-O-Pegs to stretch out a bit.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Will look for seat adjustment. Don't want to raise the seat height, that would make me not be able to reach the ground at stops. But the adjustment will look for in the am. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Oh well it was a thought.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi you do know you can change the hight of the 1500 with the press of a button you have 4ins of travel on the suspension also you can lean the handlebars back another 3ins and that will allow you to sit further back in the seat unless you got a big butt ;)and as you are a lady and i want to live another few years yet i am just not going there :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well I do Peter, and you shall live another few years. It is a fact of life! :july4thflag:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/fDhP4jtrF58&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Thats good enough for me ride on girl :action:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

If you get a chance, ride a Wing with heel and toe shifter and floor boards. This might help as you don't need to hook your foot under the shift lever.

I have that set-up and it works for me, although I have short legs anyway.

Just a thought.

I also have "highway boards" mounted on the engine guards and they help in stretching out your aching legs and knees.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

raven1300,

Don't know how you feel about floor boards and heel/toe shifters, but my '98 came with them already on it.

It took me some miles to decide that yes, they are a much needed item for aching knees and longer legs that need to move around.

I have the OEM pegs in the saddle bags. But that is where they are going to stay.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

raven1300 wrote:
Being a female with longer than average legs for a female and I have found that the shifting on the 1500 is like what I would think a crotch rocket would be. My knees are behind and also being older my knees are not in the best shape.
I have some pegs but they only help once I get out and running.
Raven,

First, let me pause and say howdy! Welcome to the forum and let me extend a warm welcome from us wingers here in Texas.

Second, your seat issue: Having enough leg room, your long shanks and all that. Perhaps it's your seat. Well, maybe not YOUR seat... but more correctly your wing's seat. I would suspect that an aftermarket seat might help. I have a Corbin and I can say that it is far better than the stock seat. I am lower and more 'in the pocket." there are other brands too... Ultimate... Russell... etc. Of course all rather expensive new. If you would like to see how you feel on a Corbin I am close enough to make that happen.

Thirdly: I would like to invite you to come join in and come ride with us. We Texas wing riders seem to be coalescing as of late... and we have several rides planned that are within easy reach for you.
  1. I am headed to Corpus to ride with DrifterTex and his lovely wife Saralou in a "Bikers for Boobies" rally on the weekend of October 1. You are welcome to ride along.
  2. The 2nd annual DocWeb Halloween ride is the last weekend of October. This will be epic! Last year was a complete hoot! You should come! You will be warmly welcomed. See info here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum2/109707.html
  3. Finally... the Texas Horn Toads are riding to Big Bend again this spring break. You are invited to join us on this outing as well. Info here: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum2/121206.html
Come, join in and ride with us... You will find that we are very local and willing to help... and if there is a solution to your leg and seat issues, more input equals a better solution.

Gotta Fly!
Travis

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Travis, I had a corbin on my Vstar 1100, we were near the factory and had them fitted. Loved them. I looked at it real close today and I think the seat is one of the problems. It seem to push me really far up, thought about having some of the back pushed back some. Will check out some of the others your suggested.
I am not a huge fan of heal toe's but I may have to go that way.
Thank you for the invite for the rides. Would go in a heart beat but have promised a friend here for the Oct 1st to help him for a benny for the Seal's and plan on coming to the DocWeb Halloween.
As far as the Texas Horn Toads would love to do that will look at dates but we do the Texas Welcome Home Run Hwy 83 during Spring Break. I am huge on rides for Vets so they seem to come first. Thanks again for your help. If you come out to Bandera area let me know we live right outside off of 16.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi darlin i am glad you have a sence of humor now down to business if you have some one handy who can remove the seat the cover is only held on with staples you could peal back the cover past the bit your rear end sits against as the pad at your back is sowen into the cover its self and then sit on the bike and see will removeing the pad give you enough leg room it will be a lot cheaper than buying a corbin seat for a couple of thousand dollars

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Thanks Peter, that is a grand thought.
If you have no sense of humor how on earth can you live in this world and especially now in the US! Did I say that?:raspberry:

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Peter, Peter, Peter, you rock man, took the seat off took the cover off and took some of the foam out of the back rest at the seat base. It seems to help, did not get enough out, could go a little more but little at a time. SO that helped straighten my legs a bit. Riding tomorrow and will see.
Thanks for the suggestion. :bow:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Raven thats good news now dont forget you can lean the bars back more so you are not in the crotch rocket position all you need to do is slip the ignition cover off and the cap over the handlebar clamps loosen the 4 bolts slightly no 23 in the pic and pull the bars back to suit you it may also help in slow turns as you wont have to reach so far when you are at full lock and dont forget to tighten them when you are finished

And as for rocking i have a couple of doggy knees also and tend to go for the slow sets up close and personal ;)that way i can get a good grip on the poor unfortunate woman to help drag me across the dance floor :shock:a bit like the blind leading the blind but hay it works for me :badgrin:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.