Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the shoes & turned the drums, blead the brake lines, have a solid pedal. I can hear them rubbing. Do I need a new master cylinder?

Thanks for your help
ET:praying:

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Now that you cut the drums the shoes have to move out farther then they did before. Are the drums still in spec or are they too big now and the shoes cannot make up the difference with the slight movement they have.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts

Welcome:waving:eet5300
If these are drum
brakes, then maybe, they need adjusted out.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Unlike disc brakes drum brakes must be adjusted before they work as they don't pump up.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
You should have a hole on the rear of the drum set up for adjustment. Should not have to take the drums back off.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Like I said, check your dimensions on your drums, they be be too big now and the brake cylinder cannot expand enough to put enough pressure on the shoes for you to have any stopping power.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
When the brake is not on, you should hear a slight rubbing sound of the brake shoes just touching the brake drums.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
You gave a measurement of 9.060 for max dia. How big are your drums after having them turned. If more than 9.060 they are too big and that is where your problem is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come to think of it, I trusted the shop that turn them , they did't have to take much off but I need to check this. Or just buy new drums.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Come to think of it, I trusted the shop that turn them , they did't have to take much off but I need to check this. Or just buy new drums.
If you're using new brake shoes they should work even if the drums have been turned beyond specification.

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
Are they the right shoes? If you put a "shoe" in the drum, it should match the contour, wouldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only thing that has changed is new shoes (two different sets) and turned the drums. I am going to buy new drums. The brakes worked fine before the change.

Thanks ET

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
The brake cylinders should easily push the shoes out the extra distance, unless they skimmed way too much off the drums. New shoes and a firm pedal after bleeding would indicate you have everything right. The remaining suspect is the drums.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I had this problem on a car. Brand new drums, cylinders and shoes and the car failed the annual NCT road test. Someone suggested I drive a few miles with the handbrake partly on to bed the shoes to the drums. I did and it worked, the car passed the NCT a few days later.
Try riding with your foot lightly on the brake pedal for a few miles and see if it works

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for that idea. I have driven a few thousand miles on the shoes, adjusted with the same problem.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The manual adjuster screw should take up for any excess metal removed. Pistons will not expand out any further than they did before.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.