Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going cross country on my bike next week and have seen several discussions at various times with riders recommending this product for use on the wing. I’m looking for something to use on the front of my bike, including the windshield (F4+4), for bug removal. Do people actually use pledge for this including on the windshield and does it actually work? Scratching my head in confusion.

·
Premium Member
3,791 Posts
Yes they do. Here come the BEE replies...:LOL:

Reactions: BadMonk's1200

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Pledge is the only thing I use on my 89 GL1500 but I like orange.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
646 Posts
doesnt it leave an oily film on the windshield?
Nope. No residue.

I use Pledge Multi-Surface Cleaner, it comes in an aluminum one-piece can with a funny-shaped top and a trigger instead of a push button.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
646 Posts
... and no wax buildup since 1987

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
Ditto on the Honda Polish for all over the bike. No residue, no oil smears on the windshield.
But, if you want to remove bugs, get some Hydrogen Peroxide. Spray it on, leave it for 10 to 30 seconds and then wipe it off with a damp cloth. Dry cloths work too. Then the Honda Spray to follow it up.

If you want the rain to bead up and blow away, while riding, use Rainex for plastic. Sprays on and wipes off easily, unlike other supposed water shedding compounds I've tried. About $7 for 12 ounces.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Premium Member
1,599 Posts
Honda spray cleaner on the bike. I carry a small spray bottle of water for the windshield.
Markland used to make a cleaner called Markland 210. The only 210 I can find now is made by someone else and it is expensive

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
324 Posts
I used to buy 210 from the manufacturer, Sumner Labs, by the case. It was more reasonable that way. Now we have it in our GWRRA Chapter Stores, the stores manager buys it from them now.
It is also available from Amazon for about $15 a can.

It cleans well and helps keep the windshield scratch free. It is helpful to keep the windshield clear of water. Using 210 and then applying Rainex for plastic has proven to be the cure for a dirty, rain covered windshield.

I seldom recommend it here because it is not as widely known as some of the other cleaner/polishes.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
+1 on the Honda polish/cleaner. Multiple cross country trips on the bike in all sorts of weather over 20 years on 2 'Wings. The stuff just works on all surfaces. Yes you need to wipe it extra well on the windshield but you need to do that with any cleaner on that surface. 210 is good for the windshield, but with limited space, that 1 can of Honda juice does the trick. I also tried out Pledge for about a year and to was Ok, but just didn't feel it was a good multi cleaner in this application.

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
I use Original Bike Spirits from Walmart/auto parts stores like Advance. It is supposed to be identical (and manufactured by) to the original Honda spray cleaner/polish. Hydrogen peroxide from the drug store with just a drop of Dawn for soaking bugs (watch them foam up as the hydrogen peroxide disolves the proteins) but I give it a couple minutes. And microfiber towels! Never paper, cotton, etc. These are great for removing morning dew, wring out the water like a chamis, can be captured in the trunk lid for a few miles for final drying. Never wipe with a dry rag. Our '06 has its marks from age, but I still get remarks that it looks new! Black is the fastest color - to show dirt!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Windex and paper towel on an f4 windshield. Nothing else.
PAPER TOWEL ?!! soft RAG like the inside of a sport sock is better..spray on SCRUBBING BUBBLES (or generic one from Dollar Tree (no caustic/ammonia) first..its FOAMY..let sit a few min then wipe off.
Great for F'glass and acrylics like RV front ends and windshields. Kept my ;91 GL OEM windshield in good shape for over 25 years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts