Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi All,

My name is Johnny and I drive a 1800 for a radio staion and broadcast traffic news on a 70 mile circuit daily.

My question is this how much bigger is the 1800 compared to the 1500 ie: overall length

thank you

Johnny

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!! :action:

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Welcome Trafficjohnny to a great site. I can answer half of your question. The 1800 is 103.7in (2635mm). Tony:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

AVA AUTO TECH wrote:
Welcome Trafficjohnny to a great site. I can answer half of your question. The 1800 is 103.7in (2635mm). Tony:waving:
I got the other half here for you.

GL-1500 is 103.5 in (2360mm).

Rusty.

·
Premium Member
20,620 Posts
imported post

Boy! You guys are good!! I just spent a little time looking that up! You guys are right on the money! Thanks to both of you!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Not a bad job at all, it's the only motorcycle that can stand up to the rigours of the job, 70 mls a day is a test for any bike!! most people laugh at the idea of a goldwing as a city commuting bike, but I filter through several lanes of motorway each day and there's nothing like a goldwing to make cars move over like water parting. I would be a great advert for Honda in showing people how practical a goldwing can be for a daily commute. I wonder are there any other radio stations using a golding for trwffic reporting

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

trafficjohnny wrote:
Not a bad job at all, it's the only motorcycle that can stand up to the rigours of the job, 70 mls a day is a test for any bike!! most people laugh at the idea of a goldwing as a city commuting bike, but I filter through several lanes of motorway each day and there's nothing like a goldwing to make cars move over like water parting. I would be a great advert for Honda in showing people how practical a goldwing can be for a daily commute. I wonder are there any other radio stations using a golding for trwffic reporting
We don't get to split lanes here except in California. We use helicopters here for traffic news mostly due to the large spaces we occupy.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

trafficjohnny wrote:
Hi All,

My name is Johnny and I drive a 1800 for a radio staion and broadcast traffic news on a 70 mile circuit daily.

My question is this how much bigger is the 1800 compared to the 1500 ie: overall length

thank you

Johnny
OK, i'm going to ask the question no one did ask.why do you need to know the difference in length?????:baffled:

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

I don't ride for a radio station.

But I do ride to work every day, rain or shine.

Here in Phoenix, where we don't get much rain,

it's a whole metropolis with all new freeways.

As you can imagine, there's little to compare to the experience

of riding a six cylinder Goldwing on these roads.

And with a4:30 am. start,

every morning,

just before sunrise,

they're all mine!

OH! One more thing.

While the 1800 may be 1/2 inch longer,

the 1500 is about 40 lbs. heavier.

Mostly because or the frame.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

I've seen folks talk about the wing being to big for city riding. Most of those don't ride a wing regularly or have never rode a wing. When I came off of my BMW to the wing the wing felt huge. Didn't take long to get used to it and I don't mind it at all in traffic. I don't think my little beemer was any easier to handle in traffic. Now something with a dirt bike suspension so that you could jump curbs easily would be a different story :)

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,856 Posts
imported post

I rode my 1500 everyday as my only transportation. And I can tell you that it all became 2nd nature to ride it anywhere, fast or slow.

I became very adept at the creepy, crawly, go fast!, no stop now! traffic that all big cities are famous for.

The Goldwings can be ridden very slow, once you become accustomed to them.

Cruising down the freeways in 4th gear letting the engine freely roam in the higher RPM range, it is just as nimble as the smaller bikes I used to own.

I have ridden the full 18 miles home and never get to 5th gear, I just like the instantaneous control of the throttle to "control the traffic" around me.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

i ride daily in phx. and it handles and works like a dream.. and in fact the reason i ride it is the size. I WANT to be seen. and I actually have less encroachment than my last little car... and I LOVE BEING OUT THERE SOLO.... steering is not a problem.. sometimes stops it will tip a bit heavy... but i'm used to it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.