Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience lengthening the hydraulic cables and electric wiring on the 1832? Guessing the electric part will be a mess, but my objective is to pull the bars out a bit farther and wider than the Heli's and cabling allow.

Jason

·
Registered
272 Posts
MBL riser's instructions suggest removing the rubber bushings from the cable guides near the head to provide a smidge more length, but I modified them to keep them in place and avoid any rubbing against the sharp metal edges of the cable guides. You could probably remove or redesign the cable guides and get some more length that way, but I'm not at the bike and I don't know if that would cause other issues.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put handlebar risers on my 2002 several years ago. I, too, wanted the bars up and wider than OEM. I went through 3 different sets of risers before I found the perfect ones for me. To make everything fit correctly, I stopped using the metal guide that hold the cables and lines to the handlebars. Instead I utilize a wire tie loosely keeping everything where it should be. This has worked well for me for over 10 years. I think I replaced the wire ties a time or two just to be safe. Good luck..... Jim

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MBL riser's instructions suggest removing the rubber bushings from the cable guides near the head to provide a smidge more length, but I modified them to keep them in place and avoid any rubbing against the sharp metal edges of the cable guides. You could probably remove or redesign the cable guides and get some more length that way, but I'm not at the bike and I don't know if that would cause other issues.
If you're speaking of the clamps on top of the triple tree, I think I already eeked out as much slack as I can get from those.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put handlebar risers on my 2002 several years ago. I, too, wanted the bars up and wider than OEM. I went through 3 different sets of risers before I found the perfect ones for me. To make everything fit correctly, I stopped using the metal guide that hold the cables and lines to the handlebars. Instead I utilize a wire tie loosely keeping everything where it should be. This has worked well for me for over 10 years. I think I replaced the wire ties a time or two just to be safe. Good luck..... Jim
I use the same zip tie solution instead of the guides. I think I've gotten all the slack I can from the current cables. I'd like to put the bars in a similar position as my 99 Valk had, maybe with even more pullback. I'm just afraid that's going to mean extending those dang electric lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts