Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey yall,im having a problem with my 1981 gl 1100. i thought my rear brake caliper needed rebuilt but after ordering a kit and pads i broke it down and realized that one of my pads had worn down so much that it had slid behind the mounting bracket,to make a long story short i removed the caliper to install the rebuild kit but could not get the cylinder out so just put it back together now i have no brakes after bleeding them TO DEATH i still have air in them and it takes 5-6 pumps to get brakes ???? what am i doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Did you separate the caliper from the brake hose when you removed it ?

How are you bleeding the brakes,

Hose from the bleeder submerged in a jar partially filed with clean brake fluid.

Pump the pedal 3-4 times, hold the pedal 3/4 of the way down, crack the bleeder observe the fluid, close the bleeder, release the pedal. Make sure the M/C never goes empty.

Repeat until no bubbles and clean fluid emerge from the hose in the jar.

You may need to tap at all the banjo fittings and on the caliper to make the trapped air move along.

Usually the separate systems bleed fairly easy, the linked systems can sometimes be a pain, yours should be a separate system.

If you're still having troubles, you may want to see if you can obtain a vacuum bleeder, they're available at Sears and most auto parts stores for about $ 30.00.

You say you couldn't get the cylinder out, how did you try, is it cocked in it's bore now, is the brake fluid leaking, is the seal damaged.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Not too sure what you meant by not being able to get the cylinder out. Do you mean the caliper pistons? Or do you mean the caliper mounting sleeves? Do you also mean the metal backing on one pad was worn through? If so the rotor may be junk, it should be measured for minimum thickness and grooving.

You will probably have bleed the front brake that's interconnected with the rear. But the whole process sounds like you need to take off the rear caliper again and get the pistons out. One way to do it is to pull the caliper off the rotor, remove the pads and then pump the pistons out with the brake lever or use compressed air. If the pistons are stuck, the brake caliper isn't going to work right anyway. Take it all apart, clean it up, wipe down the cylinders, pistons, seals and dust seal with brake fluid and reassemble. Make sure the mounting sleeve in the caliper is free to move, it should be easy to slide from side to side. If not take a drift on the edge of it, push the rubber boot away, and drive it until the end of the sleeve is about halfway into the caliper. Then you can remove the boot thusly exposed, drive the sleeve out of the caliper from the other side, remove that boot and clean things up. the sleeve should be move freely back and forth through the caliper.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

i changed them like i would my car,theres no fluid leaking i took the caliper off and tried to force it out without damageing it

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Usually after you remove the circlip #7and dust cover #14, you can "force" the piston out with a couple of pumps on the pedal, or compressed air.

See anything that indicates where you went wrong.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

wow thanks ill go out tommorrow for another go at it thanks ALOT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.