Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I hate these type of threads, but I learned a lesson the hard way this last week. :lash:

After landing in Albuquerque this last week, I went to pick up the wing from airport parking like usual. I did my usual walk around, checking tires, lights, turn signals, brakes and just a visual walk around. Everything looked good on it. Jumping on and leaving the parking lot, went to make a left hand turn onto Yale Street. Powering out of the lot to get across traffic, I went to lean into the left hand turn and it happened. The left side cruiser peg and swingarm dropped down and struck the pavement preventing the left hand turn. It popped the bike back up and to the right side. Trying to level the bike off and come to a stop, the peg and arm again made contact with the pavement. This time the wing decided to take a nap when I was unable to make the complete turn before coming up against the curb on the opposite side of the street. :sadguy:

No harm done to me except for the pride factor and tearing the right arm of the jacket up. After getting off the bike, and taking a look. The allen bolt holding the swingarm tight, had backed out after time and was out just enough for the swingarm to be popped out and swung down or up in its intended purpose. The only damage to the bike was a scraped lower engine cowling (had been wanting a chrome one for the last year or two anyways :) ) A scraped right side muffler protector guard thingie and some scratches on the right side saddle bag.

Sooo, I now realize that I have been negligent in my checking the tightness of my cruiser pegs and just assumed that since the little chrome cap ends were on that all was good. Lesson learned: DO NOT ASSUME, reach down and test the tightness of those pegs. I was lucky I was only going about 5-10 mph and not the 50 or 60 mph that I could have been going on the highway and have it pop out.

Anyways, just thought I would pass along this lesson learned and hopefully someone else does not have the same thing happen to them So now my pretty little bike has some road rash. Good thing was that it did not stop or deter my 1,500 mile road trip this last weekend over to Nevada and back to NM. :waving:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Glad you're Ok.

A picture would be helpful, to describe what the problem was with the hardware setup.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I too am glad you are alright... so it was a case of Instant-Endo.

T

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
Glad ur oK John. Could've been disastrous. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you're Ok.

A picture would be helpful, to describe what the problem was with the hardware setup.
Alex,

Unfortunately I am back in AK and the wing is back at the airport parking in NM so I cannot get a pic of the actual cruiser pegs I have and which bolt I am talking about. Here are some pic of the Kuryakyn ergo pegs with an arrow inserted pointing to which bolt was loose just enough for the swingarm to pop out of the grooves and swing down. Mine are set up exactly like and look like these ones except they have a chrome cap on the end covering the allen bolt. They were already on the wing when I got it. So I am not for sure if they are Kuryakyn or what brand they are though.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Glad you are safe and no major damage to the bike.
Thanks for posting it! I seldom think to check mine and I have similar to those also.
With mine though it seems I have to unscrew the bolt near 90% out before I can adjust them up or down so seems like they would flop and rattle around allot if getting that loose to just slip down.
I'll check mine are tight tomorrow, thank for the warning!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It may pay to use locktight or some other thread locker when you install or re install the pegs.
+1... Locktite and/or safety wire everything on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...Mine are set up exactly like and look like these ones...
> I realize that the main culprit in your case was having a loose bolt, however the mounting position shown could still otherwise be disasterous during hard turns, due to the lowermost point of the arm contacting the ground. It's safer to mount these on the Vertical bar, rather than the lower horizontal one, so as to preserve full cornering ability.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
Sure glad you didn't get hurt and the bike didn't get serious damage. Those are definitely Kuryaykn Ergo II highway pegs. I have a pair sitting on my workbench waiting to be put on my 1800. They really don't restrict the turning capacity of the bike the rider pegs will be on the ground before those hit the ground. The older type that had a C shaped clamp did hang below the engine guard and worked much better if they are put on the vertical part of the guard. On the 1800 those mounts need to be on the lower part of the bar so the rubber part can bear against the engine preventing the clamp from twisting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.