Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I am going to be selling my current bike (85 GL1200 Aspencade) either this fall or next spring.

What are your opinions as to if you'd let would be buyers try the bike out. It seems the seller is taking a pretty big risk by letting "Joe Blow" hop on and take it for a spin.

Looking for information or advice as to what you've done when selling your bike or trying out a bike to buy.
 

·
Monkey with a Football
Joined
·
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hand me the cash and try it out.
If it doesn't come back exactly as it left, then you just bought it.
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,517 Posts
imported post

Same here. Cash in my hand, you try the bike. You like it, you get the title. You don't like it and the bike is crashed, you bought it anyway.

It comes back with only a few clicks on the odometer. Hand over the cash and let him go his merry way.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Is the risk of losing your bike because they wreck itgreater than your concern that they won't buy it if you insist on cash in hand before you will let them ride it? Only you can answer that. For me, I agree with Rudy. If they want a test ride without obligation, they can go to a dealer. :)

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

They can ride as a passenger with me, no other way would I do it. And I will ask that they leave all weapons at home or be subject to a search upon arrival at my home.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
993 Posts
imported post

Even if you have cash in hand... What about if the potential buyer were to damage

property or people ? How would that play into the senario ? Could the seller be liable

if the buyer said something like " brakes were crap " or whatever ?

To be totally safe, would the buyer have to show proof of M/C license & insurance ?

Even then, worst case senario, could he not say bike was to blame ?

Just saying, lot of negative things COULD happen...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

As thisSeller put in his ad on CL



"No test rides unless I have $1500 cash in hand and you have a class M endorsement on your license and all legally required safety gear. You break it, you bought it. You knock it over, you bought it. You lightly tap it into a car, you bought it. Etc, etc. "





I think that pretty well sums it up!!:cooldevil:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,409 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
As thisSeller put in his ad on CL



"No test rides unless I have $1500 cash in hand and you have a class M endorsement on your license and all legally required safety gear. You break it, you bought it. You knock it over, you bought it. You lightly tap it into a car, you bought it. Etc, etc. "





I think that pretty well sums it up!!:cooldevil:
Yup :action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
imported post

Just sold my 1200. No test ride. I wasn't worried about the bike but it wasn't insured and if anyone hit anything I, as the owner, would have to pay.

There was a post about this topic where someone got hurt and sued the owner.
 

·
Forum Diplomat
Joined
·
7,368 Posts
imported post

Here's the numero uno, numbah won, all time..... solutionola!

Never sell a bike!

Let them stack up in the rear of your property like the honored, duty-wornmachines they are! Or clean em' all up and park em'all aroundyourliving room.....make furniture out of them.....when one of your guests ask, "what the heck?" Just nonchalantely reply, "Oh, that....that's the 1100 Goldwing Interstate I rode down to Patagonia in '87! I'll tell you the story about it sometime when we have more time.....!"

Never sell a gun you liked; never sell a bike you liked. If you do, you will be sorry.......!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
683 Posts
imported post

Hey!!!! I like CJs answer. Mine are starting to pile up by the way.

Jeff
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,102 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Here's the numero uno, numbah won, all time..... solutionola!

Never sell a bike!

Let them stack up in the rear of your property like the honored, duty-wornmachines they are! Or clean em' all up and park em'all aroundyourliving room.....make furniture out of them.....when one of your guests ask, "what the heck?" Just nonchalantely reply, "Oh, that....that's the 1100 Goldwing Interstate I rode down to Patagonia in '87! I'll tell you the story about it sometime when we have more time.....!"

Never sell a gun you liked; never sell a bike you liked. If you do, you will be sorry.......!
amen brother tell it all:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
495 Posts
imported post

I bought my bike from a friend. He didn't have insurance for it, andwas parked for about a year. Like I said he is a friend, and he refused to let me test drive it. I wanted it so I bought it.

:action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
imported post

dannyeod wrote:
I bought my bike from a friend. He didn't have insurance for it, andwas parked for about a year. Like I said he is a friend, and he refused to let me test drive it. I wanted it so I bought it.

:action:
That probably was the problem!! He knew you way toooooo well!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
406 Posts
imported post

you will have a 99%assessment of the potential buyer at the first 5 minutes of being with them, from there, the rest of the transaction will take place, yes, there are horror stories that are exceptions, but if I lived my life that way, I would never ride a motorcycle, or even leave the house for that matter!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
546 Posts
imported post

The one time I sold a bike and let the buyer test drive I held his license until he retuned with the bike.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,287 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
Hand me the cash and try it out.
If it doesn't come back exactly as it left, then you just bought it.
CASH being the key word.. ...unless it's my brother (which he'd never do anyway).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
76 Posts
imported post

I won't buy a bike unless I can test ride it. You just can't tell much about it otherwise. Having said that, I wouldn't let a prospective buyer ride one I was selling. You have to be prepared to offer a short warranty of sorts if you won't allow a test ride, which is what I do.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top