Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ellensburg, Washington's own Jonah Street, an unsupported, low-budget privateer currently running 2nd in the Dakar Race being held in Patagonia.......

Jonah is a low key, good natured kid, unimpressed with fame and riches..... he just likes to fly across open country on his rebuilt KTM! At about 100 mph! You'd like him!

Go, Jonah... do us proud!

http://www.jonahstreet.com/default.asp

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Ellensburg, Washington's own Jonah Street (ahem, ex-student of mine!), an unsupported, low-budget privateer currently running 2nd in the Dakar Race being held in Patagonia.......

Jonah is a low key, good natured kid, unimpressed with fame and riches..... he just likes to fly across open country on his rebuilt KTM! At about 100 mph! You'd like him!

Go, Jonah... do us proud!
CJ, I guess he has you to thank eh?:D:D:D:action::action::action::action::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Uh, no.... didn't mean to imply that........

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Awesome, I used to fly across the So Cal deserts, AMA sectioned events, had a blast.

Go Jonah! :cool:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Jonah, the kid from Ellensburg, Wa, had a pretty good stage today (or maybe yesterday)...... he's now in 2nd overall, and only 27 minutes out of first place! One commentator said, "if he wins this thing, it would be tantamount to when Greg Lemond won the Tour d' France....."

Trust me, no one deserves it more. He worked at his fulltime job until just days before the Dakar, has an old truck and one old friend mechanic for backup.... the usual favorites are giving him some grudging respect, although they pronounce his name "Yo-han!"

Back home, his young wife and two little kids wait and cheer.........

If he wins, it'd be like some Joe Blow coming off a church softball league team and throwing a no-hitter in the World Series! It would be "Rocky" on a motorcycle!

Gad, I hope he does it! C'mon, Jonah, c'mon, kid.......! C'mon, y'all here at home.... beam some good cheer and positive support to the boy from Ellensburg!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

He's got it from me,go Jonah, make sure you keep me updated on this now!

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

I just bombed through his website, but I dont see much mention on his bike. It looks like a ktm adventure?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ah, that website talks about the Dakar 2007, doesn't say anything about him riding in the 2009 rally. Talking about the link CJ put in the first post.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well, we get a 1/2 TV show at 3:30pm.... which may be a day late.......

Yesterday, on the show, he won the stage, which put him in second overall........

The show is split in thirds, for cars, trucks, and bikes....... not enough, in my opinion. Have you seen those trucks? With their crew of three? I heard they evolved from the service trucks,which had to drive from stage to stage; and, being gearheads, the mechanics and truck drivers started to race each other between stages! Hah! Since they were racing anyway, the organizers decided to formalize it and make it a class...... love it!

Well, if Jonah doesn't win, it's not because he doesn't deserve to..... I'm a sucker for an underfunded, unregarded dark horse....... frosting on the cake that I know the kid.

Also, he's riding a KTM, but one of lower displacement and slower. But he thought he could minimize any disadvantage by being easier on tires, equipment......

One of my friends told me last night that Jonah, back home, hunts coyotes when he gets a chance. With a $50 pelt bounty, he uses that money to help finance his racing. Good on him..... nothing about him I don't like.......

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

He's got me rooting for him.

You've just got to admire a young man that get's everything in line and does what he dreams of doing.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Found an official standings website:

Jonah finished 8th for the day, over about 150 other riders..... and he's still 2nd overall........ which is pretty good, and with a lot of time to go..........

Also, I was wrong about the displacement; seems like all the top 20 or so competitors are riding KTM 690's.......

http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/RIDERS/us/equipage/26.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.