Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading through the manual for my trike, (thanks again Trike Lady!) I see it mentions "optional shock absorbers." How do I tell if I have stock GL1500 shocks or some aftermarket version? Also, what servicing should be done to them? At 76k miles, I'm sure they're due for something. And while I'm asking questions, what air pressure should I be running in them? At 6'5" and 275 lbs, I'm no small man. And for that matter, my wife isn't petite either and she'll be on the back seat.
Thank you all SO much for all the help, no idea what I'd do without it! Oh, almost forgot to mention, it's a '91 gl1500a Lehman.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you have stock shocks from a GL1500, the left shock will be a spring shock and the right will be air. I'm pretty sure that some one changed your shock's when they did the trike conversion. You probably need to ask Lehman what shock they use with the rear end. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
My '97 SE with '98 Lehman GTL conversion has Progressive Series 416 Air / Spring / Shocks, my guess is they were optional upgrade. I always thought they were standard, but don't know what would be more … so now I wonder if maybe regular were Spring / Shock units.

Maybe by '98, Progressives were standard. Have you looked at them?

If Progressive, may I suggest 50-70 psi in them at least for two up.

These are Progressive 416s:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
It would be hard for me to imagine a quality company building a trike rear end suspension using stock components as described above, one spring and one air, especially since the physics of a trike are very different than a stock bike (and, my $.02, that system wasn't a good idea to begin with.) You can simply look at the components from down on the floor and I'll bet a dollar to a donut that you have the dual Progressive Suspension air shocks. I put those on my '95 GL1500 and, other than the HID headlight system, it was the best money I've ever spent on a bike.

·
Magic Moderator
4,441 Posts
Page #14 of the installation manual uses plural for the shocks "Connecting the air lines" that means both are air shocks and orientation of the "Fittings". But it contradicts itself by listing #7 "Box containing optional shock absorbers" page 4. There's only one way to tell what you have and that's to look under the trike. I cannot find anything that tells the installer to reuse the original shocks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I suppose when I tear into it on Saturday I'll find out what's there and will report back. Thanks for the help everyone! I'll probably have lots to say by the end of the day Saturday!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts