Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
I am mostly a target shooter, firearm collector and reloader with a little hunting in deer season. Good friendly discussions on those subjects appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I have a dilemma with my traveling to Canada and guns. I want to enter in one place and get out in another place a few day later They, simply, dont want hand guns in there. Shipping a handgun is fairly expensive since one has to use UPS overnight.
USPS doesn't allow gun shipment unless is done by federally licensed dealers. Its expensive.
So what would be like if I remove the barrel and ship the rest by postal office as "machined parts" to the hotel where I intend to stay a few days later. I can carry the barrel with me to Canada since it is not a gun.
This way if the package gets lost in the mail its impossible to use the gun unless you get a new barrel which could be more expensive then a black market gun.( a honest person will turn it to the police)
what do you think?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Hmmmm, , ,many of my years with the PD was being the department "Range Master". It has given me more than a normal share of "scary gun stories". Nobody ever got shot on my range, , , , but that doesn't mean that accidents didn't happen. Always had worries about "friendly-fire".

The buy/sell thing could be an issue with firearms, IMHO, without a dealers license in some states. There could be "work-arounds" ofcourse, but it can be tricky.

I toyed with getting an FFL long ago, , , but too darn many "reg.s" with hoops to jump through, , , IMHO

·
Registered
458 Posts
What happens in the inbox stays there between two folks but dont advertise someone will tell.
I Hunt everything that walks or crawls, the only thing I shoot for fun is coyotes. Meat is #1 in my book. I have my CCW license, and carry all the time where legal. I reload for everything I own except .22long rifle. I dont own a gun safe but have 4 Big dogs. My carry gun is usually my 357mag, Home defense is my 357 or 454 both beside the bed, either one will make you very sorry. I carry my pistol on rides as well usually in my side holster. I have a small .22 cal that is my hidden gun as well, but you will have to know where it is to find it or disassemble the bike.
Im the 45ACP of folks Im old and fat but pack a punch!!! LOL!

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had forgotten about the FFL thing, I ran into that when I got my .45ACP
the local dealer charged me an immense fee to retrieve my gun.

would have been cheaper to field strip and mail the parts.

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
If we can talk about it here can we sell or buy them in the for sale/wanted forum?
That probably wouldn't be a good idea. If someone has one for sale they could mention it in a post in the forum and all business is then done by PM.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I envy all of you people in 2nd amendment states! I live in the most restrictive state in the nation and it just got even more so in the last election, 100% totally democrats now. Welcome to NJ. Never even think of bringing your carry weapon here!!! I have my share of guns but just going to the range here is a nightmare. If you get stopped you basically have to tell the police that you do not give them permission to search the vehicle and then you call your US Lawshield lawyer because anything they find they will confiscate, legal or otherwise. I hate it because I have always been one to be straight up with the police but I have even been told by some former officers that with todays new crop of young officers that at least in NJ that is NOT what you want to do. It IS legal to transport weapons to the range in cases, locked and unloaded and separate from the ammo. BUT, They will make it a big deal for you if they think they can. So never, ever ride through NJ with your weapon.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I'm a target shooter... Used to hunt and was on an Aux Police force decades ago but just target shooting now... Mostly handgun but bust some clays on occasion...

Now living in Tennessee, there are no issues here with guns... Used to live in Illinois, a lot more restrictive than Tennessee... Heck, here in rural TN, we here the hunters all the time - no big deal, and my neighbor frequently test fires in the back yard 2 doors down...

Have my TN CC and have had it since I moved here although most of the time I don't carry...

My pride and joy is my custom M1911 Government .45ACP... .

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
I live in the most restrictive state in the nation
Im a refugee from Jersey here in Fl. I do conceal carry most of the time.
If it wasn't for family I would never step in NJ.
When I do I will not talk to the cops except my name and DOB. No need for anyone to search my car or ask me other questions.If you divulge any other info you'll run into trouble even if you have a gun the legal way.Keep it simple

·
Administrator
24,406 Posts
I envy all of you people in 2nd amendment states! I live in the most restrictive state in the nation and it just got even more so in the last election, 100% totally democrats now. Welcome to NJ. Never even think of bringing your carry weapon here!!! I have my share of guns but just going to the range here is a nightmare. If you get stopped you basically have to tell the police that you do not give them permission to search the vehicle and then you call your US Lawshield lawyer because anything they find they will confiscate, legal or otherwise. I hate it because I have always been one to be straight up with the police but I have even been told by some former officers that with todays new crop of young officers that at least in NJ that is NOT what you want to do. It IS legal to transport weapons to the range in cases, locked and unloaded and separate from the ammo. BUT, They will make it a big deal for you if they think they can. So never, ever ride through NJ with your weapon.
Kind of sounds like living in nazi Germany or the USSR.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Pretty close, pretty close. Did I mention we have the highest property taxes and the highest insurance rates in the country also? I want to move but I can't afford to. It is so bad that you have to pay tolls on all of the bridges OUT of the state but it is free to come in.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Pretty close, pretty close. Did I mention we have the highest property taxes and the highest insurance rates in the country also? I want to move but I can't afford to. It is so bad that you have to pay tolls on all of the bridges OUT of the state but it is free to come in.
Sounds a bit like Illinois and the taxes and gun regulations we had for years... No more here in Tennessee!!

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
No Pictures yet Guy's?? I'm disappointed!!!!!:-(

Ok then I'll start with 2 of mine!! The first pic is a 9mm P95DC Ruger I bought for my wife when she was getting uncomfortable about break-ins near our house up in Marion. There is nothing fancy about this gun but it IS very accurate up to 20 yards or so, maybe a bit further depending on the shooter, and reliable as all get out!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
Next up we have my Pride and Joy!! I've owned some .357 Magnum's and .44's over the years but those can't compare to the Model 500 S&W Magnum I bought a few years back!! She came with an 8-3/8" barrel with the interchangeable compensator and is a Real Hoot to take to the range!! So far I've shot the gun with the 270gr Vital Shok Federal, 350gr Winchester Reduced Recoil, 400gr Winchester Platinum Tips, and the 500gr Hornady XTP's. The most "solid straight back at'cha" kick was the 500gr Hornady. About a 4-5" rise on the barrel when fired and like I said: Solid but smooth and controllable!! About 10 rounds is all you want to fire.. The worst of the bunch was the 270gr Federal!!! A very sharp kick that had the barrel rise up to 8 inches or so!! The gun shop where I bought the gun gave me some rounds and there was about 6 of those rounds included. I've still got 5...… :ROFL:

Which brings me to my Favorite: The 350gr Winchester! THAT is the round the gun Likes!!!! About 2"-3" of barrel rise and a very moderate, smooth kick!! And since the rounds for this Beastie are about $3.00 each I bought a reloading press and started rolling my own for about $.35-$.85 per round loaded to the 350gr Winchester spec's!! You can fire 100 rounds and be looking for more ammo with this round!! It shoot's that comfortably!! :grin: :grin:

Here's some pic's...

Attachments

·
Administrator
57,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought the 9mm Ruger LC9s simply because out of all the guns in the case before me, it was the only one that was slender enough to drop in my pocket without "pocket printing"

and, at the same time, big enough to fit my hand comfortably.

So far, I have only shot ball nose target rounds through it, and it stays fairly level.
( But, I have not observed that action with a video camera to measure the barrel rise, I am comparing this with how my .45ACP Highpoint (1911 style) auto rises when I shoot it ) and it is twice as heavy as the LC9s or more. )

I bought a very slender little pocket holster to keep the LC9s trigger from being activated by accident.
But, personally, I keep the slide locked all the time.....

I figure if I am going to ever pull it, my thumb fits the slide lock very comfortably and it can be unlocked instantly.... I will never be in a position to try a "Quick Draw McDraw" feat anyway.
If it ever comes out, I will hopefully be in a position where I am not observed...

Having never been a LEO, nor Active Military in Action, I've never been faced with " WTH do I do now " thoughts.

----------
I have allowed my U.S. Lawshield insurance to expire, and quit carrying, because after attending several of the seminars they presented, it became obvious that we are the one going straight to jail and need a lawyer, instead of the felon in most cases.

It also became obvious "in my mind", that the only time I will be able to use it in a defensive action is in my home, and if an intruder has come into my home, and I am able to use the "Castle Doctrine" to remove the problem of "who is the offender" in the eyes of the law.

My daughter and I have been of the opinion, that we will try to be observant, and not put ourselves into a situation where we would need to use a weapon....

( yeah, a lot of victims in Quick Stop stores have proven they wish they had a weapon )

but, would they have been of a mind to use it, or even seen the perp in the first place?

I walk the isles of stores, with my Rear View visor in action all the time...
Being aware of my environment, is my best protection IMO.

With my upcoming trip to Florida to the Southeast Meet 'n Greet in March, I am debating on even taking my LC9s on that trip.... I would have to renew my U.S. Lawshield insurance if I do... and as we intend to swing through Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina... and potentially more north on the way home......... I have not read the rule book on reciprocity to see which states I can do that legally in anyway.

Guess I am just not paranoid enough to think I need it with me all the time.
I am 75, and never once, been in a situation to even think I could use a CCW with me.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts