Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my story. I have an engineless japanese mini truck. I have a free 85 gl1200L and I have the ability to fab up projects.
The bike has fi and is supposed to run and if it doesnt i am told i can swap to carb by changing the computer and add a pg. That equals money.
Now to the PGs. I have used various sources to trigger homemade hei ignitions, are the PGs basically a "pickup" reading a reluctor wheel and if so couldnt this signal be used to trigger hei module for spark?
Btw, I have spent 2 days reading and learning on this forum, I have to say thanks for the wealth of info and a forum full of intelligence.

·
Premium Member
5,776 Posts
Ok, heres my story. I have an engineless japanese mini truck. I have a free 85 gl1200L and I have the ability to fab up projects.
The bike has fi and is supposed to run and if it doesnt i am told i can swap to carb by changing the computer and add a pg. That equals money.
Now to the PGs. I have used various sources to trigger homemade hei ignitions, are the PGs basically a "pickup" reading a reluctor wheel and if so couldnt this signal be used to trigger hei module for spark?
Btw, I have spent 2 days reading and learning on this forum, I have to say thanks for the wealth of info and a forum full of intelligence.
I think the answer is that it isn't that simple. How would the module recognize number 1 cylinder? If you are going to use a distributor how are you going to couple it with the engine? The 1200 module also controls ignition timing by advancing or retarding electronically. .
It would be much easier to use the OEM pulse generators if you go with carbs. Wire the PG;s to the module. Wire the ignition coils to the module. Bring in a hot and ground. I didn't look but that should be about it.
When the engine turns it makes about 1 volt square wave each time the reluctor tooth goes by the pickup. In the module that one volt triggers the base of a transistor. The transistor fires the appropriate ignition coil. There are 2 coils. One fires #1 and #2 cylinders while the other fire 3 and 4 cylinders. It is a wasted spark system. If you are not familiar that means it fores 2 cylinders at the same time. One is on the power stroke and it will make power. The other cylinder that is fired b the same coil is on exhaust stroke. That spark is wasted, thus the name wasted spak. The advantage is you can fire 4 cylinders with 2 coils. Or 6 cylinders with 3 coils etc.
If you stay with the FI you might be good to go. If you go with the carbs the PG's and module can be had from eBay pretty reasonable.
Click on the link below

·
Administrator
24,793 Posts
It probably could be done that way but I don't know what you would have to come up with to control timing. Sure, they would work with a GM HEI (or other) ignition module but the timing would be way too far advanced. The pickups on the back of the right head trigger well before TDC and the computer uses other inputs to determine when to trigger the coils. Still much easier to use the PGs & module from a carbed engine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great info thanks so much, so when you say module, are you referring to the computer box?

I think the answer is that it isn't that simple. How would the module recognize number 1 cylinder? If you are going to use a distributor how are you going to couple it with the engine? The 1200 module also controls ignition timing by advancing or retarding electronically. .
It would be much easier to use the OEM pulse generators if you go with carbs. Wire the PG;s to the module. Wire the ignition coils to the module. Bring in a hot and ground. I didn't look but that should be about it.
When the engine turns it makes about 1 volt square wave each time the reluctor tooth goes by the pickup. In the module that one volt triggers the base of a transistor. The transistor fires the appropriate ignition coil. There are 2 coils. One fires #1 and #2 cylinders while the other fire 3 and 4 cylinders. It is a wasted spark system. If you are not familiar that means it fores 2 cylinders at the same time. One is on the power stroke and it will make power. The other cylinder that is fired b the same coil is on exhaust stroke. That spark is wasted, thus the name wasted spak. The advantage is you can fire 4 cylinders with 2 coils. Or 6 cylinders with 3 coils etc.
If you stay with the FI you might be good to go. If you go with the carbs the PG's and module can be had from eBay pretty reasonable.
Click on the link below

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Click on the link below

Forgot to respond to your distributor question. Basically wouldnt need a distributor if you have magnetic pickups and reluctor wheel. Its already setting the trigger for you to hit the hei modules with. Now, the computer doing timing changes etc is something I can not create.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It probably could be done that way but I don't know what you would have to come up with to control timing. Sure, they would work with a GM HEI (or other) ignition module but the timing would be way too far advanced. The pickups on the back of the right head trigger well before TDC and the computer uses other inputs to determine when to trigger the coils. Still much easier to use the PGs & module from a carbed engine.
Boom, so basically the PGs alone cant be used like I mentioned. Thanks so much for the info

1 - 6 of 6 Posts