Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today I took a little ride on my newly purchased '05 Wing. I just went down the road a piece and filled it and returned home. I parked it and then went to Mom's where my '84I is garaged and started it up. I took it for a ride, the first since purchasing the '05.
I should not have been surprised, as there is nothing wrong with it, but I had forgotten how nice this bike runs. Although my intent is to sell it someday, it sure makes me think about keeping it too. I guess that now I realize how good the 1200s are. Even at 24yrs old these bikes are nice.

Roryrob

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I know how your feeling. I hung on to my '77 for 2 years before I gave in and let her go. I do miss her, but I just couldn't keep up with two bikes.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
I'm thinking you can never have too many Wings!
I'm thinking you need to talk to my Wife. ;)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

If I could keep my '86 as well as my 2000, I would. My 1200 was my first Wing, after many years of wanting one, but having them both is not to be for me.

John

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Motorcycles are like Pringles...

...You simply cannot have just one.

Mike

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

I totally fail to understand why a man can't have more than one bike?

I assume the older one is paid for, so, the only expense you would have is gas/oil and ins. Which is minimul.
The pleasure of having a choice is well worth the little xtra cost.

Surely, we're not letting 'someone else' decide what toys we keep in the garage. Why does it hav to be a matter of 'which one'? Why not BOTH, or ALL THREE.

My GF won't let me sell (have no intention either)my 02 Honda Shadow Sabre, as it's my first bike since getting back into riding.

The Wing I got cause she wanted something more comfortable.

The 86 Magna is her bike, and she's talked to folks that have had one, and she's aware of the history of the old Magna, and refuses to let it go.

So, if I get another bike, I won't be selling any of the others. Life is good.

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

DaveW wrote:
I assume the older one is paid for, so, the only expense you would have is gas/oil and ins. Which is minimul.
There is one part of the economic picture you missed. In my case, I need to money out of my old bike. Part of the reason I was able to upgrade is because part of the upgrade will be paid for by the sale of my old bike.

John

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I'm hanging on to my 84 500 Shadow as long as possible.

It gets 60 mpg & can bake in the sun or drown in the rain all day at work in the parking lot, since it has nothing on it to worry about.

WhenI get the house paid off [in 2088, I think], I'll think about the possibility of making Bike payments.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
DaveW wrote:
There is one part of the economic picture you missed. In my case, I need to money out of my old bike. Part of the reason I was able to upgrade is because part of the upgrade will be paid for by the sale of my old bike.

John
True, but, my thinking is, that once it's paid for...................it's mine!!

I don't buy something else unless I've got the proceeds to do so, not taking into consideration having to sell something to get those proceeds.

One of the folks in my old riding group was constantly selling one bike/ATV/Trailer/car in order to buy another, pay off something else, etc etc etc, and, now, has not a bike, ATV, trailer or a 2nd vehicle, and, is working a part time job to try to save enough money to get a used bike by spring.

My feeling is, if you can't afford to buyit outright, (or afford the monthly payments) don't buy it. But, that's just me. Which is why I'm now down to 3 cars and 3 bikes.
(gave two of my other cars to my kids). I like toys.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
imported post

I was going to start a thread about my weekend ride, but after reading this thread it seems right to post here.

My '82 1100i does not have the power or all of the gadgets and gizzmos that many bikes have, but this past weekend was yet another reminder how great that old girl is. Over the weekend My wife and Iput on several hundred miles under crystal clear fall skies on country roads that were perfectly painted with "peak" fall color. There was no ground thumping bursts of power, or noise createdby any electronic "stuff". All we could hear and feel was the rush of the wind, andthe simply sweet harmonic pulses of a perfectly tuned 1100. At the end of an agressive run through one of my favorite twistys, my wife reached forward gaveme a little squeaze and said, "that was great honey, Ithink it is time to head home...wink, wink..." To borrow an old phrase...it just don't get any better than this!

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"I'm thinking you can never have too many Wings!" x2

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

Exactly what I was telling the GF last weekend.
I want a nekid 1100.
She thinks they're ugly, I think they're nothing but raw power. (saw a nekid GW chopper on youtube, sounded great)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.