Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try to fix the OEM windscreen from the '85. It's in pretty bad shape but this is a test, this is only a test...

Years ago, I buffed up my original and used it for some time, more than a year, I think, before I bought a new shield which is still on the bike, but looking very used. That will be picture #1.

Pic #2 is the first tools to be used.

Pic #3 is the work shield after a quick wash.

Pic #4 is after washing a couple times, with Comet, using the scrubber side of the sponge, then again with comet and the sponge side.

Pic #s 5 & 6 are the view through the shield before the Comet and what you are not seeing.

A question: Has anyone tried this, and is sandpaper going too far as a starter course? I can't remember, but I think I sanded that first one and then hand rubbed it with polishing compound, then wax. It was no where near as bad as this one from the '85.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
I tried it once and bought some rather expensive Clear coat with catalyst in a rattle can. Failed miserably. Don't go by me. I have never been good at any kind of painting etc. I tend to be too impatient and nervous.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts

·
Administrator
57,460 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
The Lexan is GE's name for the material. It is actually polycarbonate with a hard coat applied. Once the hardcoat is comprimised, you are down to the actual base material. Polycarb is soft and scratches easily, but is very flexilble and impact resistant.
you could probably remove all the hardcoat, but then it would require a good buffing and constant maintenance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I had a cloudy windshield on my bike when I bought it, and tried that headlight restore stuff. It did remove the cloudiness, but now it's blurry. I had to by a new one. Still have my old one, waiting for some love, not sure what to do with it.

Although, mine was a Slipstreamer, as is my new one, and I think it's not the same material.

I am interested in this outcome, so keep us posted as I know you will, and good luck! I've read somewhere that progressive sandpaper to about 1500 grit works.

Does seem a shame to throw away something, especially with our tendencies to want to restore stuff. I take old houses and restore them to homes for someone, at a modest cost of course, lol. I love it. Minus the %+&#@ realtor fee, argh.

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tell you what. Though not perfect this stuff will greatly improve the clousiness. Especially if you use it often and really rub until it squeaks. Plus you will have it for your car etc.
Keep in mind that that stuff shouldn't be used on a good OEM windshield. Its abrasives can damage the coating. I have some and will be using it as the last steps in this attempt at bringing a shield back. We used it on Frank's acrylic windshield and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
why dont u do your testing on the wings and if you fix that just buy a new one and add the wings to it

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why dont u do your testing on the wings and if you fix that just buy a new one and add the wings to it
Considering the condition of the '85 shield, it seems an obvious candidate for an experimental base. If I do get it "usable" it will be a miracle.

And new shields simply are not available.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
McGuire’s has a compound that works. Wonders on headlights,might be fine to use on windshields too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I once used the 3M headlight restoration kit on my 5 series BMW headlights, its was a quality kit & worked really well, if you watch the video on You tube it might give you some inspiration to try some or all of it, most of the kit components can be bought separately , if anything works let us know as its something we probably all will do at some point.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good video. That's the technique I referred to when I mentioned the progressive sanding down to 1500 grit. I might try that as I have the sandpaper already. Just a lot of area to be sanding, two sides. Glad I took the lazy way before and just bought a new one, lol. Plus I can just quit sanding if it becomes too much, because I already have a new one!

·
Administrator
21,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, I've know all along that I will need to follow the steps shown in that video. I've tested in small areas, by hand, using some 320, then 600, then McGuires. It worked pretty well but needs the finer grit paper.

Having some trouble finding the finer grit paper. Also undecided if I should get a 6" sanding pad that fits on a drill, or spring for one of those ¼ sheet sanders from Harbor Freight.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts