Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Uk you can ride a trike on a car licence. Can you do this in the USA or do you have to have a bike licence.:?

·
Trike Master
1,227 Posts
In Indiana, if the vehicle carries a motorcycle registration/plate, you must have a motorcycle endrosement on your drivers license.

·
Administrator
58,192 Posts
I have never had a motorcycle endorsement on any driver's license in my life.

and have been stopping for speeding a few times in my history of riding motorcycles since 1958.

Not once, did any LEO even ask about it.

Not saying that's right, just that it usually don't make any difference.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
In Virgina, any motor vehicle with 3 or fewer wheels in contact with the ground is a motorcycle and the rider will require a MC endorsed license.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-100

"Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. "Motorcycle" does not include any "autocycle," "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or foot-scooter," "utility vehicle," or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

"Operator" or "driver" means every person who either (i) drives or is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle on a highway or (ii) is exercising control over or steering a vehicle being towed by a motor vehicle.
(click link to read more)
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-307

A. A nonresident over the age of sixteen years and three months who has been duly licensed as a driver under a law requiring the licensing of drivers in his home state or country and who has in his immediate possession a driver's license issued to him in his home state or country shall be permitted, without a Virginia license, to drive a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-337

No person shall drive any motorcycle on a highway in the Commonwealth unless he has passed a special examination, including written material and a road test, pertaining to his ability to drive a motorcycle with reasonable competence and with safety to other persons using the highways. The Department may adopt regulations as may be necessary to provide for the special examination under § 46.2-325 of persons desiring to qualify to drive motorcycles in the Commonwealth and for the granting of licenses or permits suitably endorsed for qualified applicants. The road test for two-wheeled motorcycles and the road test for three-wheeled motorcycles shall be separate and distinct examinations emphasizing the skills and maneuvers necessary to operate each type of motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
In Kentucky, you have to have a motorcycle endorsment to ride a trike. You can take your motorcycle road test on a trike, but then you are only allowed to ride a trike , not two wheels.

Steve

·
Premium Member
56,833 Posts
John over here in CA I can grantee they won't be that nice without an M/C endorsement.......

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys we are coming to the meet and greet in September and I thought best ask the question now.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Ontario requires a M/C license and if you take your test on a trike you are limited to a trike.

The trick in the question is the acceptance of the rider's license in a different jurisdiction.

Fabricated example:
A 17 year old gets a full M/C license at home where the license has no restrictions.
He travels to a different jurisdiction where his license is acceptable but the destination has a rule that forbids a person from carrying a passenger unless they have 2 years experience. The math doesn't work if there is a passenger.

Some laws are difficult to deal with. In Ontario you can't smoke in your car if there is a minor present so a cop pulls over a guy smoking while the guy's 16 year old girlfriend was a passenger. As he was writing up the ticket the 16 Y.O. girl legally lit up a smoke.:?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
$700.00 fine in Or. if caught without endorsement. And, I believe impoundment at owners expense, till said endorsment is acquired, according to a friend. And the endorsement cost just went the way of "O" care, starting this month. One has to get learner permit, then pay for Team Oregon, then pay for endorsement. What happened to the good old days, when one could pass in 5 minutes, and hand over 10.00?

·
Registered
26 Posts
In Illinois, if you take the riding test on a trike, you're restricted to a trike.:sadguy:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
One of the guys I ride with just bought a Slingshot. He needs a motorcycle license to drive it. It has 3 wheels on the ground, a steering wheel and sits 2 people side by side in bucket seats. To me it is more car than motorcycle.

What do you think it should take to drive this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.