Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i just bought a 1984 goldwing standard off ebay . has 60,000 miles. so far it has a bad stator. lifter leaking down. the oil was black as could be when i changed it. the rear dope was low plus black or dark brown in color. i am running some carb cleaner though it to see if it will run better.this is what i get for buying by a photo,who was that saided one was born ever minute. when i changed the oil there was a good bit of metal in the oil. the exhaust headers are leaking badly. whats a boy to do?help hoghideman

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Run seafoam through the carbs, not auto stlye carb cleaner. Also add it to the oil and run it for a couple hundred miles and change out the oil and filter again. Completley drain the rear hub and fill it with fresh grease. You might as well pull the rear tire off and grease the splines too. Some folks will recommend MMO instead of seafoam in the oil. Either one should clear up that leaking down lifter. Maybe it's full of crud and just not pumping up instead of leaking down.

Change the timing belts!!!

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

hoghideman wrote:
when i changed the oil there was a good bit of metal in the oil.
It would be helpful to the Gurus if you could better describe the metal you found in the oil. Does it adhere to a magnet? Was it blended in the oil like paint pigment? What was the color of the metal, if it was more like bits in the drain pan? :waving:

For the stator...do you think the PO just might have ignored those troublesome connectors, and didn't solder the yellow wires, etc.??? :baffled:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.