Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I seem to have a tapping noise coming from the left front cylinder of my 87 1200. It's been a long time since I did my own mechanic work or trouble shooting so I don't remember what to do to free a stuck lifter with out opening up the engine. Maybe Marvel mystery oil or something? How about some ideas? I have been getting little things fixed on it and have done pretty good but before I try something about this I would like some suggestions. Thanks Jim

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue. The noise i had (best discription) was kind of like some one tapping on a glass with a knife sort of like a toast at a wedding.

I purchased Sea Foam from UAP. around 12.00 Canadian it cleard up the problem for about 2 or 3 months but my engine burns oil so the problem cam back.

I pourd 1/2 the can gently down the air filter throtle chamber with engine running fast idle. ( Do this at night it realy realy smokes up the neighborhood) but then you will not have moskitos for a couple of hours around your house :)

I then put 1/4 in the tank and 1/4 right in the oil crank case. drove it for the full tanks worth then did an oil change.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

I don't know if you tried changing the oil. Maybe try some Rotella 15-40. A lot of folks like it. You could put a little Sea Foam & run it before you changed the oil. That's what I'd do first.

Lifters do get noiser with dirty oil.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,750 Posts
imported post

This sound is not uncommon on GL12s. At least mine.

To cure it, all you have to do is pull off the valve cover and center the cam. OK, that's very over-simplified but the procedure is explained in the Honda service manual.

If I can do it, it must be easy!

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

How many miles on the bike? Some high mileage 1200's need the oil passages cleaned out but try the Seafoam in the gas and oil. The 1200 tick is pretty common.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Sounds like a lot of feasable ideas. The bike has 60,000+/- miles on it. I will get the clymers manual I have and see about aligning the cam. I have put seafoam in the gas and it got louder. I put a couple of ounces in the oil also. The oil has about 200 miles on it. I origanally put the sea foam in to clear up the hard starting and roughness. It is idling better on cold starts but has a miss until it is warmed up. It is getting better in that aspect. I try to get the stuff done in a day or two. Thanks guys...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,750 Posts
imported post

Hi again Jim,
Page 66 of the Clymer manual.
I think the Honda manual is easier to understand. Page 7-23
Either way make it your first job, as all the fancy oils and cleaners can only mask the facts.
It's easy to do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.