Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,439 Posts
imported post

This is the procedure I was refering to. Sorry, it's not actually centering the rockers but the cam holder. It's on page 7-23 of the Honda manual.

Sorry I can't get the manual in my scanner so this is a snapshot.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,982 Posts
imported post

Dan,

It's the simplest things that are the hardest to find. Our eyes go "right over" whatever it is and just don't see it.

Anyone close by who can review what you have done? A 2nd pair of eyes can do wonders. I've been embarrassed more than once that way.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
imported post

I know just what you mean about missing the simple stuff John, done it many times and made a fool of myself.

Dennis sent me the complete text by PM to accompany the picture above. Thanks again Dennis.
(Pretty easy to miss a step when it's not in any of the manuals your using :X)

I found the exhaust clearance from the collar was less than specified, got that adjusted and havent heard the tap at all on the problem side.
That's what it did yesterday though then came back after a ride so have to see what happens.
The right side has a continuous tap that doesnt seem to change, it's hard to tell but that could be an exhaust leak.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Put some miles on it :action:

If it is a valve guide it may get better, it may get worse :baffled:

The more miles you put on the bike the more the problem will be visableif orwhen you go back in

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,439 Posts
imported post

GL12s do make a little noise. Make sure you're not chasing what's normal.

That said, in the past, what I thought was an exhaust leak was a blown head gasket once, and another time, a burned valve. (not on my 'Wing, of course)

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
imported post

I've never seen those Dan. Are they anything like a Mercedes 190E?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
imported post

I got a PM request to detail what I did and what Dennis sent me.

Referring to the picture Dennis posted, what I did was to follow the procedure below to center the collar that sits between the exhaust rockers. The center bolt goes thru this collar so that bolt has to be loosened in order to move the collar right or left to get the minimum gap on both sides.

The following is what Dennis sent me:

'84 - '85: Make sure that the camshaft holder center collar is precisely centered; the ends must protrude an equal amount.

Hold feeler gauges between the ends of the collar and the eccentric shoulder of each rocker arm shaft.

After '85: Make sure that the ends of the camshaftholder center collar are flush with the holder.

Hold feeler gauges between both ends of the center collar and each rocker arm shaft.

Tighten the center bolt while using the feeler gauges to maintain the clearances shown below.

Torque: 25 N.m (18 ft-lb)

Clearance:

'84-'85: 0.10 mm (0.004 in) minimum
After '85: 0.30-0.35 mm (0.12-0.14 in)

I found the collar was tight to one side without any gap.
It's interesting to note that if this gap is too small evidently the steel of the rocker and the collar itself will expand with heat then prevent the hydraulic adjusters from working properly. That's what I think happens anyway.

The left side is VERY quiet now. The right side has a tap but could be an exhaust leak, hard to tell for sure.
We'll see after a long test ride if the left side tap comes back.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Wanna come down to Elsinore and help me get mine done???

;)

I'll do steaks and margaritas!!!!! :action:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.