Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 GL1200A W/California Sidecar 1978 GL1000
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1986 1200 with what I believe is a Drag Specialties light bar.
Starting to show some age, and I'm not sure I'm a fan of it to began with.
If I remove it, what do I need? It does not look like the original center section with reflector is behind it.
Also, can I keep the hitch and ditch the light bar? Maybe Will want that later.

Attachments

·
Administrator
27,495 Posts
Good Lord, the gas mileage should improve when you get that mess off of it. Hard to tell what may or may not be hidden under it.

Reactions: tory

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,261 Posts
I could never understand the attraction to a piece of crap like that on a Goldwing.
I have seen a lot of them, but I hate chrome with a passion.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a little to flashy and tinny for my liking. And yes, the benefits of weight load did come to mind as well. Lol

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,150 Posts
I suspect there's another 50 pounds of chrome on the front of the bike, too.

You may have to plug a few holes but most of it will come off.

·
Honda Guru
2,073 Posts
1986 1200 with what I believe is a Drag Specialties light bar.
Starting to show some age, and I'm not sure I'm a fan of it to began with.
If I remove it, what do I need? It does not look like the original center section with reflector is behind it.
Also, can I keep the hitch and ditch the light bar? Maybe Will want that later.
More are going for the minimalist concept now so I can understand your thinking. Most all accessories use American size nuts and bolts….. so you’ll need a combo of metric and standard tools. I think you’ll be able to save the hitch but you might have to re-install it after you remove the light bar. You will benefit if you have any king of lift!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I suspect there's another 50 pounds of chrome on the front of the bike, too.

You may have to plug a few holes but most of it will come off.
Small stainless carriage bolts backed with washers and nuts can take care of the holes without looking too bad. A little sealer or a small o-ring will keep the water out. You could even paint the bolt heads to match if you want them to blend in more.
I used acorn nuts on the ones in the trunk and bags, so nothing would snag on them, especially my skin when reaching in to get something.

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No lift. And has sidecar installed. I worried the hitch looks low but I do not have the tube between the saddlebags it replaced.
Nothing on front to worry about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A little work but it will come off and you can still use the trailer hitch. Trust me. Just trace the wiring and remove or cut it(don't forget to shrink wrap it so you won't cause a short) Been around GW's since the late 60's and my 3 digit GWRRA # will prove it. When all the fancy chrome gadgets started coming out there was no worry about being heavy or gas mileage. All you thought about was whether you could afford $ it, can you put it on yourself and whether it would look GOOD. I went thru that stage and I had several "pay day" GW's. Every pay day I would try to get a little bling or get the NEWEST. Ride safe friend, all is well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts