Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had the 'Wing I wanted to build a trailer to pull behind it. Never did. Sold the bike and bought a '17 Kaw Versys 1000. Tons more power, but only 2/3 the weight so stopping a trailer becomes more problematic. I finally this year did build a trailer. A great project that from a performance standpoint turned out better than I could have hoped for. These pics don't show much but the lighting is all LED. Scratch built frame and suspension. Swivel hitch (all scratch built). Weather proof box. RotoPax mount at the front.

To my surprise it tracks perfectly and is absolutely not noticeable behind the bike except at parking lot speeds. And even this is a plus as it simply serves to stabilize the bike a walking speeds. Highway-speed cornering, and all other situations are without any negative effects. The empty trailer is 125 lbs. My own imposed cargo limit is another 125 lbs, bringing the max gross weight to 250 lbs. Dry-pavement hard stopping is excellent. Wet pavement...well who knows? The bike has ABS and traction control so panic handling is anyone's guess. The suspension geometry was a bit difficult to get just right, but a buddy I had follow me said on rough road the trailer appeared stationary while the independent suspension busily did it's job.

I'm not sure If I'll actually use this trailer, but I sure enjoyed designing and building it.

The Sport Touring forums I'm on don't care about trailers but I know that a segment of this group is open to the idea of carrying more gear than you can attach to the motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something I neglected to mention is that this is an axle-mount system. The bike's rear axle is hollow and THAT is the attachment point to the trailer. No additional weight on the bike frame that way and everything is kept very low where the handling is affected the least.

Thanks for the kind comments!

·
1,599 Posts
Something I neglected to mention is that this is an axle-mount system. The bike's rear axle is hollow and THAT is the attachment point to the trailer. No additional weight on the bike frame that way and everything is kept very low where the handling is affected the least.

Thanks for the kind comments!
IF i understand this correct , then you have no suspension on the hitch ? , and the towbar will "shake" the trailer when the rear wheel hits a pothole ? , and the "unsuspended weigth" of the swingarm/rear wheel will be relatively high ?

·
Administrator
57,647 Posts
Do you have the dimensions of your trailer.
Your suspension system is quite unique, and I am sure some will want to build something similar.

Why did you place the spare tire at the rear of the trailer?
That is the opposite of what most folks do... if the box is empty, the rear of the trailer is heavy?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IF i understand this correct , then you have no suspension on the hitch ? , and the towbar will "shake" the trailer when the rear wheel hits a pothole ? , and the "unsuspended weigth" of the swingarm/rear wheel will be relatively high ?
The hitch is directly attached to the rear axle of the motorcycle but the small vertical movements of the rear wheel have no effect on the trailer. The hitch assembly is designed taking into consideration the minor stresses involved. The additional unsprung weight on the bike's rear wheel is negligible due to the distance between the bike axle and trailer axle(s). The advantages of the hitch and suspension designs far outweigh any theoretical negatives. I got lucky and the whole thing works perfectly...something I can't say about all of my projects:wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you have the dimensions of your trailer.
Your suspension system is quite unique, and I am sure some will want to build something similar.

Why did you place the spare tire at the rear of the trailer?
That is the opposite of what most folks do... if the box is empty, the rear of the trailer is heavy?
Hi John....I balanced the trailer with the spare tire in mind, and I wanted to place my RotoPax fuel cell in the most protected area I could (but not inside the box) in the event someone smacks the rear of the trailer. The tongue weight is still adequate even when the trailer and fuel cel are empty. The distance between the bike's axle and the trailer's axle plane is long enough to minimize any trailer-balancing sensitivity.

I'll do some measuring and post the dimensions.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I never work from formal plans, but sometimes roughly sketch a project to keep things straight in my tiny mind...so I have no plans to post. But here is what info I can pass along:

Material: thin wall steel boxed stock (sourced locally)
Axles: 4 lug 2000 lb trailer -type (Amazon)
Wheels: 8" (Amazon)
Hardware: All grade 8 (local hardware store)
Bronze bushing where needed (local hardware store)
LED lighting (Amazon)
Wiring harness from Harbor Freight
Shocks: (Ebay) sold for generic mini-bikes
Box: (Lowes)

Frame: 27"W 44"L
Empty wt: 125 lbs
Gross wt: 250 lbs
Swing arm length: 21"
Bike axle to trailer axle: 75"
Ground clearance: 6"
Length from bike rear fender to back of trailer: 74"
Tongue wt.: Aprox 10%
Box: 46"L x 24"W x 22"H

·
Administrator
57,647 Posts
That is good enough, and thank you for the additional comments.

It looks like your design allows you to set the trailer up on its' Rear End with the tongue pointing at the ceiling?

That would make storage a bit easier if inside the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts