Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been concerned with my driving lights being more than the bike can handle. I tried looking up something on this but the new site doesn't seem as useful for that. The ones that came on the bike ( '86 gl1200a) are 45W each X2. It's nice using them but can't for long. That's like having 3 headlights.
Been looking at superbrightleds for ideas. Changing all the rear bulbs will cost more than I want to put into it. So I looked at DRLs on the site. Anyone have any suggestions there? Also, I could use the existing housing of the current lights and just put in some H4 DRLs but I'm not sure if they'll be bright enough. Need some suggestions on how to do this because I can't really use the ones that are on it. I think those extra 90W over tax the charging system.

Remember, awhile back I had to bypass that useless burned out stator plug that we all love and admire....:eek:

Anyway, awaiting your geniusness...

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
If your charging system is working like it should it should be able to handle them at highway speeds but maybe not in town. My only suggestion would be HIDs if you can find somewhere to put the ballasts.

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
just a personal experience with the driving lights on my 86 Aspy., after installing the voltage monitor I found I had to go down to 35 watt bulbs in my driving lights to get the right ballance
the 55 Watts would go into discharge even at highway speeds after about 30 mins of riding, so after that I would be draining the batt slowly
but the 35W only drop the voltage when in town in stop and go, but it would recover quickly so I could run them all the time and not worry about the stator being overworked
for me HID were not an option $$$$ but sure would be nice

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The ebay link is for car lights, different than m/c reflector pattern.

Pair of glass lens H4 headlights for most vintage cars and trucks ,Glass lens with city lights and replaceable 9003 bulbs , Fits most vintage cars and all 12v vws with round lights. These are a must have for any vintage vw or old car owner. They have a much better light out put than stock with a nice bright white light. No more old washed out yello lights. We only ship these sorry no local pick ups , Great bosch cibe hella empi replacements! These are real car lights with car light pattern unlike other that sell motorcycle lights for cars!

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
yep as aj1200 says, the 1200 will handle 2 x 35watt bulbs with no problems they can be left on all the time.

LEDS are a great way to as they use very little draw, and are usualy brighter, but been careful with them when i tried them they effected the radio, and cb to the point they couldnt be used. huge amount of static.

I never did find an answer to fix the static

·
Large Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered some DRL LEDs to replace the two extra 'headlights' I have now so I'll let you know how it goes. I don't have a CB radio but will have to see how the stereo goes. It's aftermarket so it may not affect it. I took out the original cassette unit and the auto volume adjuster module. The cassette didn't work very well and made strange noises, besides, my tapes are really old, maybe they made noises:?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts

Oops ! I miss read the original post. Brain Freeze.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.