Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Never have I imagined such a thing. A guy riding a BMW touringwas struck by lighting night before last in Franklin, VA.

The bikes gas tank immediatly caught fire, rider was launched and died instantly.

A local man saw it happen and said during the news cast (that night)"It looked like God wanted him to go to hell"

The bike continued rolling off into a feild and left a fire trail..........................

See the news story (from the next evening)here if you dont believe it:

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3387272&nav=23iiaFOV
sbl20052505041234_story.asp_S=3387272_nav=23iiaFOV

I know it isnt wing related, just thought it would give us all some extra thought over weather conditions when rain riding!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Harrystoy wrote:
Never have I imagined such a thing. A guy riding a BMW touringwas struck by lighting night before last in Franklin, VA.

The bikes gas tank immediatly caught fire, rider was launched and died instantly.

A local man saw it happen and said during the news cast "It looked like God wanted him to go to hell"

The bike continued rolling off into a feild and left a fire trail..........................

I know it isnt wing related, just thought it would give us all some extra thought over weather conditions when rain riding!
I found the above story unlikely, but discovered a well documented instance of a bike being hit by lightning in Colorado on the National Weather Service site. That incidence was in August 24, 2003. It didn't say what make of bike was involved, but it didn't burn, the guy just ran off the road after the hit. He died in a hospital from his injuries from the lightning strike, not the crash. I wonder if he had two tall antennas on his bike like I do? I think if lightning is around I will drop my antennas.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

A friend at work mentioned that story to me the other night, but try as I might I couldn't find anything on the web. He said the story ran on our two local Pittsburgh stations for a couple of different hourly news-casts.

I like the idea of dropping the radio mast, but if the storm is that sever, I'd be looking for shelter anyway... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Shooter wrote:
I like the idea of dropping the radio mast, but if the storm is that sever, I'd be looking for shelter anyway... :gunhead:

storm or no storm lighting can strike from five to seven miles away there a story in news last year kids playing baseball clear blue sky Whack one of the coaches got hit by a bolt of lightinhg out of the blue

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

This story is a load of rubbish ,,in order for lightning to cause any damage etc it must reach an earth ,,motorbikes and cars are the safest places to be in lightning storms as the rubber stop the lightning going to earth ,,I watched a study in sweden a few years age where they drove a volvo through a simulated lightning storm,it was being hit with thousands of volts of electricty and all that happened was the instruments on the dash went funny for a short time ,but the driver got out not a scratch ..Ciaran

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I believe the car is protected by the "Farnstock Cage" effect where the energy follows the path of least resistance(metal body of car) rather than flowing through the interior(I just tried to find the Cage I mentioned but for now I can't find what I'm looking for, go figure). I wonder about with a bike being ridden in a heavy rain, with lightning, if the constant spray of water from the front wheel to the engine area would provide enough of a ground path for a strike. Plus you've got a water soaked rider firmly seated on the bike connected in five points with ground. With the amount of energy in a lightning strike, I would think this would be sufficient to create a path for the energy to flow.

Or, I could be wrong.:action:

I don't like riding in thunderstorms and avoid them at all costs.

Hobie

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
This story is a load of rubbish ,,in order for lightning to cause any damage etc it must reach an earth ,,motorbikes and cars
Yup I thought so too until I read the Official Government report about the one in Colorado in 2003. I don't think they'd put a hoax with pictures on the gov site. Hobie is right about a Faraday Cage, that's why airliners and automobiles will protect you, if you're surrounded by a metal container, there's an easier path for the electrical current of a strike to pass around you, on a bike this doesn't obtain. It's also true that the tires insulate the machine and inhibit a strike, but if you're riding over ground that has built up a massive charge to oppose the cloud charge above, the 3 or 4 inches of insulation isn't going to stop a strike, if it can jump several thousand feet of air a little rubber won't stop it.

Here's a strike in my state:

http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/m0052833/m0052833.asp

Here's a reference to the one in Virginia:

http://www.struckbylightning.org/news/dispIncidentdb.cfm

Here's the one I mentioned in Colorado:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/ltg/ltg_24aug03_parkcnty_biker_fatal.php

The point to my post is that this one isn't a hoax, you probably don't see the lightning in most parts of Europe that we do in the US, but the stuff is dangerous even to a bike rider.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Wow ! ! ! Now we have weather experts on the forum. :clapper:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

It takes all types.

"Weather" or not, it's still interesting to learn this stuff.

I think lightning is so fascinating as long as I don't have to dodge it.

BTW, if you're caught out on the golf course when a lightning storm arrives, hold up your 1 iron, because even God can't hit a 1 iron.:cheeky1:

Hobie, hiding in his Faraday cage cause there's a T-storm on the way.:waving:

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

wexman wrote:
This story is a load of rubbish ,,in order for lightning to cause any damage etc it must reach an earth ,,motorbikes and cars are the safest places to be in lightning storms as the rubber stop the lightning going to earth ,,I watched a study in sweden a few years age where they drove a volvo through a simulated lightning storm,it was being hit with thousands of volts of electricty and all that happened was the instruments on the dash went funny for a short time ,but the driver got out not a scratch ..Ciaran
Wexman, I wont lie to anyone here. I have no reason for doing so! :waving:

Sorry you feel that way.....................................

And just to prove my point maybe you should go here!

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3387272&nav=23iiaFOV
sbl20052505041234_story.asp_S=3387272_nav=23iiaFOV

One last thought, as a Mechanic I can certify to you, Lighting does a hell-a-va lot more to acar than just make the instraments go funny.....................................:shock:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

This is an interesting story. Looking at the comments you would have to wonder who is right?. The answer is of course you all are, but Exavid has quite an accurate explanation of why you live in a car but die on a bike. One of the key things to understanding all this is to remember that Electricity is essentially lazy. It will always take the easiest path to earth.

I also saw an article where Volvo were subjecting their cars to simulated lightning strikes and people were inside. (might have been on Top Gear, it's a Motoring show from the UK) Everything was fine. As Exavid stated the Faraday Cage effect in a car enables you to survive, however on a bike the shortest path is often through the rider which means death.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Gee, I thought I got the cage thing first.

Hobie

Farhnstock, Faraday, whatever.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You did Hobie, just wanted to elaborate a bit on it. Not trying to steal your thunder. Also wanted to make the point that it isn't the insulation of the tires that saves your bacon, it's the Faraday Cage as you pointed out. Never could see how anyone who though about it could think that 4" of rubber provided more insulation than half a mile or so of air that the arc passes through.

Not trying to pick a fight with the Wexman either, I thought it was rubbish at first too because I didn't think it through either.If I got caught out in open flat land like that, I'd lay the bike down and huddle on the ground a good way away from it. I've been in a couple VERY impressive lightning storms in Oklahoma and Texas and Florida, it's spectacular, but if it's close it's scary as hell.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Sorry Hobie1

Did not mean to ignore the fact that you did mention the Faraday Cage first, Really just thought I would add a little bit more light to the subject, and as you can't read the previous messages when replying just lost track of who mentioned what first.

Andrew

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Did not mean to ignore the fact that you did mention the Faraday Cage first, Really just thought I would add a little bit more light to the subject, and as you can't read the previous messages when replying just lost track of who mentioned what first.
Hey Andrew1 :waving: When your replying to a member's mesg just click on the quote button on their mesg, :clapper:then you can type your mesg below theirs When your finished you can delete their mesg with your cursor bar. :weightlifter:

:walker::18red::walker:

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Not trying to pick a fight with the Wexman either, I thought it was rubbish at first too because I didn't think it through either.
Hey exavid :gunhead: No you cant fight with wexman. :whip: This guy holds a black belt in Karate. :crying:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I was just poking a little fun at y'all. I enjoy this board because of the way people can communicate without worrying aboutpetty poop.

Sorry if I came across as being p***ed:action:because I wasn't and am not.

Carry on folks. :clapper::D

Hobie, waiting for the rain. As a matter of fact, we, here in the Midwest, would really like to see it rain for a few days as we've only had under an inch in the last couple of months. Farmers are getting really nervous.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
I was just poking a little fun at y'all. I enjoy this board because of the way people can communicate without worrying aboutpetty poop.
Hey Hobie1 :waving:So you were just taking a hand at us. :crying:

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.