Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Love this great site and all the witty and informative info! I have a 1999 SE 1500 with 10,000 miles on it, inexcellent shape, it really is my dream come true bike after a lifetime of drivingriceburners held together with duct tape and baling wire.

My question is about the night lights that are in the hand controls so you can see where the switches are. The right side all works fine but the left side horn, turn signal, and hazard controls don't light up, and the CB levers above those in the separate box don't either. At the top of the radio control box the radio controls light up fine. Iopened up (well not all the way)and inspected the grip controlsand couldn't find any lights init at all. Seems to me that they should light up.

My cheapo manual says nothing about it. Can any of you guys ''illuminate me''?



Thanks FireBob
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

Hey FireBob,

[align=center]:waving:WELCOME to the FINEST GOLDWING SITE on theweb :waving:[/align]
[align=left]I cannot help you any with the 1500. I own a 1200 and the controls on it does not light up. Someone will be chiming in shortly to help you out with your situation.[/align]
[align=left]Welcome to the forum. Have fun, don't be afraid to ask questions and if you get board and have time to kill, read the Deer Alert thread. You will either laugh yourself to death or go insane. (not too sure which one)[/align]
[align=center]:waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:[/align]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the welcome! Seen the deer alert before and you're right, I laughed all the way through the deterioation of that conversation.

This tech forum is amazing! It just blows me away - all this info! ---FireBob---
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

I figured someone would have been along by now to give you their input.

Hey exavid, Tonys69....all you 1500 owners out there...

[align=center]WAKE UP!!!![/align]
[align=center]:goofygrin::grinner:[/align]
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
I figured someone would have been along by now to give you their input.

Hey exavid, Tonys69....all you 1500 owners out there...


[align=center]WAKE UP!!!![/align]
[align=center]:goofygrin::grinner:[/align]
What do I know, my 1500 is a 93 and doesn't have lights on the handlebars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks anyway, Maybe it's not supposed to light up, like I said I couldnt see any bulbs or sockets - Thought at least I would see a LED. Ever heard of Goldwing using fiber optics for something like this? I can't be all that complicated, can it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Speaking of cheapo manuals (not that we were) Mine is a Clynes. I plan on keeping this bike forever - what brand of manual would you guys recommend that is complete and detailed? Thanks again. . . .
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
What do I know, my 1500 is a 93 and doesn't have lights on the handlebars.
Well, after all, you are the SENIOR Guru and Redwing says that you know everything and I believe him because I have aconcrete bird bathin my back yard....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,079 Posts
imported post

FireBob wrote:
Speaking of cheapo manuals (not that we were) Mine is a Clynes. I plan on keeping this bike forever - what brand of manual would you guys recommend that is complete and detailed? Thanks again. . . .
The Honda service manual and the Clymer are about the best. (in my opinion)

Stay away from the Haynes. (again, my opinion)

You can pick up any of these manuals fairly cheap on eBay.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
316 Posts
imported post

Yep, just like I thought. There are 3little bulbs in the left switches for the CB, turn signal/hazard and radio switch. The right switch has a bulb for the cruise control.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

1984GL1200A wrote:
exavid wrote:
What do I know, my 1500 is a 93 and doesn't have lights on the handlebars.
Well, after all, you are the SENIOR Guru and Redwing says that you know everything and I believe him because I have aconcrete bird bathin my back yard....
I don't think the light up controls came in until 97 or 98 long after my bike came along. I also have a concrete bird bath in the back yard but it's a bit cracked. It has a nice green concrete frog sitting in it. The bird bath sits on top of the septic tank pump out hatch. The hatch lid is green fiberglass and is bolted down to the top of the buried tank on a rubber gasket.

So it's apparent I know my crap but not too much about handlebar control lights!
 

·
Other side of the pond
Joined
·
3,409 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
The lighted controls have been standard only on the SE since 1990.
Thats a fact. Honda should never have stopped this practice on the early gl1800 (up to 04). Lighted switches aere a must on a bike with so many switches on the bars.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Now thats funny!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

exavid wrote:
1984GL1200A wrote:
exavid wrote:
What do I know, my 1500 is a 93 and doesn't have lights on the handlebars.
Well, after all, you are the SENIOR Guru and Redwing says that you know everything and I believe him because I have aconcrete bird bathin my back yard....
I don't think the light up controls came in until 97 or 98 long after my bike came along. I also have a concrete bird bath in the back yard but it's a bit cracked. It has a nice green concrete frog sitting in it. The bird bath sits on top of the septic tank pump out hatch. The hatch lid is green fiberglass and is bolted down to the top of the buried tank on a rubber gasket.

So it's apparent I know my crap but not too much about handlebar control lights!
I mean this is funny!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Guys, thanks for the help, I will dismantle the whole thing to access and test those bulbs, I hope it is as simple as that . . .and I will order a new manual in the meantime.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
imported post

We could start a Bird bath - Green frog - Septic field - Crap  Knowledge Thread... and see if it would outlast the deer alert thread...     Is a frog with a pancake on its head BETTER than a bunny ??           Silver/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/cooldj.gif
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
4,293 Posts
imported post

Hey, Paul. You must have burned out bulbs. My 90 all light up. Pretty green. Can't read anything on controls. At, least without glasses.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

My bike isn't an SE, it has a lot of the SE options but no light up controls, I've had the handlebar controls apart and no light source in there.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top