Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

BOY OH BOY For a wing with only 15,600 miles on it, it sure was not taken care of. I now find I do not have night lights on the LCD,s. Is there a special fuse for them? Can someone disconect them? Everything except the lcd light up when ignition key is turned on. I need your help again guys. THANKS AGAIN>

ALSKI

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I forgot that! My goldwing is a 1987 1200A Aspencade. I appreciate your reply I am getting forgetful in my old age.

Alski

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

OK dug out my schematics Power from fuse #7 brn /blu wire goes thru ignition switch input to display is brn/wht (should have batt volts on it) Green to ground from display If voltage and ground there change bulbs. There is4 bulbsThe main connector is behind the left fork on bracket on frame under pod (left side)- int c75(6-blk)- Asp c75(6 red)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ccsailor Excuse me, but what is a pod? also whay is- int c75 [6-blk]-aspc75 [6red]

I have no idea. Alski

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

opps Sorry pod is your fake gas tank You have to remove it to get access to the connector that is labeled as above Front left side close to neck#'s refer to pin #'s in connector but just look for colour coded wire and measure volts and ground there before removing ibstrument unit to change bulbs

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

ccsailor Thanks 4 the help. I bought the wing 6-1-05. I took off most of the plastic and I have not put it back on. Changed bearings on steering head ,new fork tube and bushings,seals, new timing belts, had the carburators out 4 times,newbrake pads, rebuilt front caliper,new radiator hoses. Now battery goes down in voltage after 50 miles or so.No lights. What next? The PO took apart the fork tubes and put them together wrong, had the pilot scews all scewed up. Needless to say I have been busy for a guy going on 73.

Alski ATP 1316402 CFI A&I

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

I had a post a while back on checking your stator and reg I'll reattach here. Have a go at it Its pretty straightforward

GL1200 Stator Testing

By Neil

Get a digital voltmeter that measures A/C and DC as well as resistance

Pull battery cover (left side) off and put bike on centre stand

Have battery load tested at battery shop if OK charge overnight measure DC volts straight across battery after charge should be about 13.5-13.9 VDC Reinstall battery.

On the left side of the battery you will see three yellow wires either going to a plug or wired straight thru by previous owner

Disconnect the plug OR cut the three yellow wires one at a time VERY important ONE at a time mark wiresA; B: C; You have to disconnect to get true readings. If left connected a lot of other problems could mislead you. Clean wires leading to stator by about ½ inch. You will be soldering later

Start The bike

This will not hurt the bike in anyway. It will run on the battery

Put meter on A/C scale across any combination A-B;B-C;A-C rev bike to 3000 RPM. You should see 45 to 60 volts A/Cacross any of above combination

If OK shut bike offmeasure on resistance scale (50K is good) from each of three wires to ground It should be infinite EG open must not have any shorts to ground

Measure from A-B; B:-C; A:-C; measurement should be in the vicinity of 1.2 ohms on any of the legs

If all measurements are ok (volts and resistance)your stator is good

Bad News Scenarios

1 A/C volts under 40 V A/C (with wires disconnected and at 3000 RPM)

2 Any leg A: B: or C: shorted to ground (Low or no resistance to ground)

3 Any combination A:-B: B:-C: A:-C: open (infinite resistance)

If stator is bad you may consider the alternator alternative See separate post on that subject

Or it entails pulling engine to replace stator

Ifyou havethe plug cut it out and solder each of the three yellow wires straight thru cover with heat shrink. Follow wiring all the way down to where it enters engine(under sleeve) just to make sure there are no other hidden splices (throw the plug at the neighbour’s cat or some thing it’s a piece of crap)

While you are in the area it is recommended that you change the fuseable link (30 amp main fuse) to a heavy-duty fuse holder with bayonet style fuses. These old fuses have a tendency to corrode and fail at the worst times leaving you with a dead bike

Start bike with meter still attached to battery voltage will go down while cranking over but should come back up to 13 VDC plus when you rev bike turn on Hi Beams volt should drop slightly but still be over 13 VDC if not e.g. 11 to 11.5 dc replace regulator 10 min job (lots on ebay)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

ccsailor With the fuse for the headlight and stop lights pulled out my meter shows 13 to 14 volts but while riding battery goes down to 11 1/2 and wont start the engine.

Alski

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Done that 2 months ago.

Alski

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Can't quite follow the last two posts

Did you test stator similar to above post?

Is bike running when you measured voltages with headlight fuse in and out?

sure sounds to me like a bad battery Have you had it load tested? Charge overnight and take it to a local battery shop they won't charge you for a load test (at least they don't around here)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

ccsailor Just tested fully charged battery! only get 12 1/2 volts. This second battery that wont take a fuul charge. [wallyworld] I just ordered an Odyssey battery. I checked voltage with fuses in and out looked good. Hope this works out.

Alski

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

ccsailor I looked for about 2 hours on left side near the fork and elsewhere. I gave up,then noticed the same type of rubber covering on right side. I found brown and white wires there. No green only green and white. The brn/wht wire makes a U turn back to the same side of socket. now what?

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Well I be [email protected]@ed It shows on the left side facing forward in the books and is there on my bike. I assume you have removed the fake tank . SO instead just find the wiring loom coming out off your instument cluster and follow it to the connection block then measure for ground and voltage at that point Did you get a new batt and did it solve your other problem?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

ccsailor I ordered it out of California yesterday. In my clymers manuel the wires go to a 12 pin terminal.I have not check that on the bike yet. On a different sub. My sons last duty station was south of where u live Whidby Isl. He had 22 yrs. and 9 months in the navy. When he retired he stayed there on the island, beautiful country. I visited twice. I will let u know whats happening about the lights.

Alski

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.