Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Have a 1982 Aspencade would like to add more but my volt meter while driving is at 14+ and when I put my driving lights on it is at 8 watts and I have change all my tail lights from stock 1157 to 360 degree LEDs and a new battery, but all works great but put the extras on and down go the volts. Do I have a problem? if so what is the answer. Thank you for these forum it is great

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

The charging system on these bikes is meant for battery voltage maintenance more than being a power plant. To charge a dead battery while rideing you would have to ride for a couple hours unlike a car that produces alot more amps.

You can change to an led light set up to conserve power or you could build or buy a poor boy conversion kit.

What that is, is an external altenator which is driven off your front crank pully to the alt which would be bolted on the left side of your wing near the frame. I think they look awesome but they will help supply alot more power to alot more lights!

There is info on this site to look at or go to this link,http://gl1200goldwings.com/techcenter/article1003.htm

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Or, just change out your anemic headlight with a Hella 7" unit. The original has probably lost most of the 'silver' and doesn't reflect light very well. If you have the inclination, also look at adding an HID lamp.

I also have the cheesy 55w driving lights but I can't use them as my volts drop below what I'm comfortable with.

Oh, BTW hard wire your yellow stator wires together and replace the 'dogbone' main fuse with a blade-type 30a when you get the chance.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

I added two bullet type driving lights (from Wal-Mart) and changed out the 55 watt mr16 bulbs with 35 watt mr16 bulbs. I've also changed stop/tail light to led, and am looking to change the front amber running/turn lights to led . . . leaving the back turn lights as bulb to see if they will provide enough resistance for the flasher to work.

I put in Silverstar headlight bulb . . . that was a dramatic upgrade.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank you all I will change out my head light to HID then change my H3 driving lights as for the back my main tail light is 2 360 degree LEDs and my bag lights regular 1157 but I have 2 extra brake lights at the back on my bag rails with are wired that the brake and night come on at the same time to get the tailgaters off plus a LED brake light bar on the trunk top rail eye level.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.