Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello

How to change wiring about low beam such at lights is on just when theengine is running? I have planning toinstall Xenon bulbs. Ordoes it matter if Xenon lights are slaps on and off and on again? Sorry my poor translation but i hope you make out what i mean.
:D

http://www.xenonkauppa.fi/epages/Kaupat.sf/fi_FI/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Xenon/Products/%22Muutossarja%20H7R%20moottoripy%C3%B6r%C3%A4%C3%A4n%22/SubProducts/%22Muutossarja%20H7R%206000K%20moottoripy%C3%B6r%C3%A4%C3%A4n%22

Best regards

Jari from Finland

GL1800 -08

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Are you asking is there a way to have the lights on just when the engine is running?

In any event it is nromal for the lights to come on as soon as the ignition is turned on, and to cut out momentarily when start is used.

You installed the Xenon kit? or just the bulbs?

Kit

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes Kit, thats what i am asking.
Meaning is install bulbs and ballasts which include in packake.
Jari

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

There are ways to do that but I don't see the point. If for instance you want to play the radio with the engine off just switch it to ACC.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I had realised that the Xenon bulbs do not like connecting on and off repeatedly??
Jari

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

Nor does any other bulb really. I wish they had put the ACC position to the left of ON instead of having to go through the On position to get there.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

I think what he is getting at is, will it harm the Xenon bulbs by cycling them off/on during the engine start sequence?

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

But still... In any event it is normal for the lights to come on as soon as the ignition is turned on, and to cut out momentarily when start is used.
Jari

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
I think what he is getting at is, will it harm the Xenon bulbs by cycling them off/on during the engine start sequence?
Thats the point. Will it harm?

Jari

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Nor does any other bulb really. I wish they had put the ACC position to the left of ON instead of having to go through the On position to get there.
I concur on that switch sequence. That was a rather dumb move. Should always be ACC first, then ON if you really want that.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

55-65W halogen generate 700-1000 lm, and 35W xenon 3000 lm.
Quite big difference.
Jari

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

JFJ66 wrote:
But still... In any event it is normal for the lights to come on as soon as the ignition is turned on, and to cut out momentarily when start is used.
Jari
You could prevent that by first holding in the start button then turn the ignition on and release the button when it starts. I have a set of zenon light ordered and haven't thought of it but they are used on some newer cars and the same thing happens, when you start them it kills the lights. Hopefully it won't hurt them.
I think I'll look into bypassing the start switch so the lights don't go off when starting, it's not that much power anyway and if the battery is good should be no problem. On mine when the lights are on high beam the fog lights are off but when I hit start they come on.
I may also look into wiring a relay that turns the lights off if the oil light is on so they won't be on when the engine is stopped.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

i've been using xenon for 1 year, the ballast will re-start fine after you push the start button. no need to modify your wiring.

so no, it wont harm the bulbs nor the ballast

AZgl1500 wrote:
Thats the point. Will it harm?

Jari

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

The reason why the lights go out when the starter is pressed ,is to give the battery as much power as possible to turn the engine .We are talking about a BIG engine and a small battery ,If you leave the lights on while you are turning over the engne then it is possible that the battery will not have enough power to spark the plugs if the batttery is not fully charged up ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I'm with what he said - he has the AXE :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

One other thing Jari, don't worry about your English, it is very much better than any of our Finnish!!!!!! :):gunhead:

If we don't quite get what you mean the first time, please try again, it is always worth it, to try and help any member of the site.

:waving::waving:

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
imported post

PM sent Jari.
I figured it out and did it to mine, very simple. Now I turn on the switch, no headlight, start engine, lights come on.
I would give details but some will think I'm nuts so if you want it done to yours PM me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.